Topic: Ibert trois pieces

In the first movement, 4th measure after 8, there is a g to b flat slured figure.  Any ideas on fingerings?
Ken

Re: Ibert trois pieces

I don't have the music in front of me but I think you are referring to the tremolando G3 to B-flat 3. (It must be easier on French bassoon!) Try this: finger G, trill RH 2 (middle finger) very fast. The b-flat might be a little flat, but it should not be noticed if you trill fast enough, and you can 'bite' the sound a little to bring up the pitch.

BTW, recently I performed those really wonderful pieces with two fine groups. We decided to exchange the order of the 1st and 3rd movements because the first movement has a really great ending. Went over well with the audiences. Best wishes, Christopher Weait

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

Re: Ibert trois pieces

This is probably overkill for your needs, but I'll mention it anyway for completeness.

There is a mechanism available from Fox (and Heckel and probably other manufacturers) that makes this trivially easy. Fox calls its version the "articulated Ab/Bb trill." Basically, it allows you to finger the Ab while depressing the Bb spatula with your thumb. Then you just trill your right hand ring finger and pinky, and the mechanism takes care of the rest. The mechanism also works for the G/Bb and Gb/Bb shakes.

I have it on my instrument. It works great.