Topic: New source of bassoon cane

I make my reeds from tube cane, and ever since my student years back in the 70s, I have been in search of “perfect” cane. I have a collection of cane from a variety of growers, of various vintages, and from different parts of the world. At the Australian conference in 2004, I was introduced to native Australian cane. Ever since, I use Australian cane exclusively to make my reeds.

Last month (June 2006), I was in Australia to perform and present master classes. I discovered that my colleague, Peter Handsworth (clarinetist), just purchased Reeds Australia, and gained complete control over the one and the only source of Australian cane. Peter was the head of Monash University School of Music, and he was instrumental, along with Anne Gilby, in realizing the IDRS conference in Melbourne.

I took the opportunity to see the source of the gold mine. I asked Peter to take me to the farm, and he agreed. We drove from Melbourne (10 hour drive) to beautiful Adelaide, in south Australia, the “Napa” region of Australia. The farm is small, and the cane is organically grown. Some of you may have obtained a limited number of gouged and shaped cane from Reeds Australia at the Muncie conference. I brought back several kilos of prime cane that I handpicked from a batch of large bags (100 lbs?) of 1999 vintage cane. Sorry, but my cane is not for sale.

I wanted to share this with all of you, since I know that we are always in search of perfect cane!

The website for Reeds Australia is http://www.reedsaus.com.au/

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, U of Colorado at Boulder
Editor, IDRS OnLine Publications
Administrator, IDRS Forum

Re: New source of bassoon cane

Always eager for a new source for excellent cane, I logged on to the site this morning. Unfortunately they seem to only sell tube cane at this time. Perhaps in the near future they will expand their product line to offer gouged cane so those of us who don't split and gouge our own cane so we can try this Australian cane. Or, maybe an enterprising processor will purchase their tube cane, do the splitting and gouging and then resell it?

Gene Carter, Owner
Linden Reeds

Gene Carter wrote:

...Or, maybe an enterprising processor will purchase their tube cane, do the splitting and gouging and then resell it?

I am meeting with Peter this weekend (in Boulder, CO). wink

Yoshi Ishikawa

I received an email from Peter saying that soon gouged cane will be available to buy from the site.

Associate Professor of Bassoon, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Principal Bassoon, Winston-Salem Symphony
Bassoon, Zéphyros Winds
Associate Editor, IDRS.org

I have been using Reeds Australia tube cane for about three years. I have been very satisfied with it. It is the only cane I am using now. Highly reccomended!!    Charles McCracken

See post by Peter Handsworth, managing director of Reeds Australia in Classified Forum!

Yoshi Ishikawa

Yoshi, Please ask him if he intends to market oboe tube cane. Thanx, john

Best,

john

John Towle wrote:

Yoshi, Please ask him if he intends to market oboe tube cane. Thanx, john

Go to "Classified Forum" and click on "Reeds Australia" post, then click on Email. You can send messages directly to Peter.
Option: click on this http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/viewtopic.php?id=323

Yoshi Ishikawa
Professor of Bassoon, University of Colorado at Boulder, College of Music

I bought an initial supply of this cane from Bob Williams and have made a half dozen or so reeds from it. I am extremely happy with it and plan on offering reeds made from this cane as part of my business. Those I have made to date were made according to specifications provided by Bob Williams and the results were uniformly very good. Try it...you'll like it.

Gene Carter, Owner
Linden Reeds