Topic: Bassoon method for adult beginners with other instrumental experience

Dear list,

What are your favourite bassoon method books for adult beginners with experience on other instruments?  I am thinking of Weissenborn.   Any other books you would recommend?   Thanks a lot in advance.

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian

Re: Bassoon method for adult beginners with other instrumental experience

The "New Millenium Bassoon Method" by Mike Curtis is a fine "update" on the first part of Weissenborn.  Happy Bassooning!

I totally agree with beebjp's recommendation and would add  Nitz, Donald, The Bassoon Transfer Book, published by Trimbelle Music if it is still available. Best wishes, crw

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

Hi, Wai Kit!

I'm not exactly an adult beginner -- Ive been playing bassoon on and off for over 30 years and have played a few other instruments, as well -- but I did leave the bassoon for 10 solid years and have been having trouble getting technique back. At the risk of sounding like some sort of Chris Weait groupie =;), I can highly recommend Chris's complete collection of spiral-bound books:

-Bassoon Strategies for the Next Level
-Bassoon Scales for Reading
-Bassoon Intervals for Reading

I have the second and third of these actually on one of my two music stands in my "studio" (sadly, more or less a walk-in closet ... sigh) and use one or both almost every time I practice. I find that even just doing one page or so, slowly and thoughtfully, has really helped me in the last year+ that I've really tried to focus on building up my hand-brain coordination. The "next level" book is a terrific informational and inspirational work that you can refer to again and again -- this one is next to my bed, and more than a few times my wife has "caught" me reading or re-reading sections of it until 1 or 2am.

I short, these books are terrific supplements to whatever repertoire, orchestral works, or technique / method books you may be using. I wish I'd had access to them when I was younger and my hands were better!

Best of luck,

Thom

Last edited by ceolmoore (2010-01-22 13:19:40)

Oubradous.

Yes, totally agree with William, too: Oubradous! Fantastic method. Gotta pay attention, though. wink

My first book of choice is The Young Bassoonist - you can see a full summary of its contents in an earlier post in this Forum. Uses accompaniments which help support pitch and add that "real" music touch. Weissenborn is usually next.

Neville

Neville Forsythe
Christchurch New Zealand
Bassoonist / Teacher / Conductor