Topic: What software or website to log student lessons, repertoire, grades?

I'd like to know from the private lesson teachers out there, what software or website you use to log your student's lesson progress, repertoire, grades and all the details we can't keep in our heads. I have jumped around over the years using everything from pen and paper to excel to what I currently use, Evernote http://www.evernote.com/ - but I'm always on the lookout for something better. I'm wondering if anyone has used Basecamp or Backpack? Anyone have a great excel template they use? What else is out there?

Thanks, Saxton

Associate Professor of Bassoon, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Principal Bassoon, Winston-Salem Symphony
Bassoon, Zéphyros Winds
Associate Editor, IDRS.org

Re: What software or website to log student lessons, repertoire, grades?

I'm totally there, Saxton.  After trying to keep lesson details and goals in my head for each student, I had to revert to writing everything down as I was forgetting more than I remembered.

I think simplicity is the key here.  Instead of trying to use a targeted program or spreadsheet, I just document every lesson of the semester in an ongoing word document.

Each lesson has a brief summary of what we covered, how the student performed and any other notes of interest.  The last thing I write each week is the student's goal for the next lesson.  Immediately after the lesson, I email the document to the student so they have an ongoing record of what to practice or accomplish that week. 

Each student has his/her own file where I store a new Word doc each semester.  That way, I can look back to make sure I don't give the student the same etude book they worked on two years ago. 

This method has been pretty useful for me, and is a good way to call the bluffs of students when they say, "but you didn't assign that!".  I say, "well, it says so right here in your lesson file."  "Take that, bad student!"

Good luck and let me know if you find a software title that makes it easier.

Scott Pool

"The Ornaments look pretty, but they're pulling down the branches of the tree." - Cake

This website is an excellent studio mangement tool:

www.musicteachershelper.com

I've been using Music Teacher's Helper for a few years, and I find it to be a very valuable resource. Initially, I didn't think it would be very worthwhile, but after testing it, I found many of the features to be incredibly helpful. My students (and their parents) like it, too!

Lynne Marie Flegg

I use musicteachershelper, too.  I like a lot of the features, such as emailing invoices and lessons reminders.  The calendar is great, keeping track of finances is easy too.