Topic: looking for basoon music

I have 2 students looking for solo literature to play (with accompaniment)  First is a 2nd year student, still in 6th grade...doing well..I'm thinking Weissenborn Arioso and Humoresque would be within his grasp..looking for other repertoire...the other is a college Mus Ed major looking for a Romantic Period selection to fill out a recital.  Fair technical development, not virtuosic.  Probably could not handle Weber Andante and Hungarian Rondo..other recital selections look like Bozza Recit/Sicilienne/Rondo..3rd Gailliard Sonata ...any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Frank Watson

Last edited by BassoonII (2010-02-12 16:50:26)

Re: looking for basoon music

I'd probably favor Gordon Jacob's Four Sketches or Avison's Sonata (Baroque transcription) for the young fellow, and the Longo Suite or Hurlstone Sonata for your college player. 

Happy Bassooning!

How about the David Concertino or the Elgar Romance for the elder student, and the Bouree from Bach's Third Cello Suite as arranged by Sol Schoenbach in his "Solos for the Bassoon Player for the younger?

Bryan Cavitt
Bassoonist; Elkhart County (IN) Symphony Orchestra; Bassoon Dad

Last edited by Bryan Cavitt (2010-02-12 17:31:14)

I would agree on the Weissenborn for the younger student, and for the college student, the Wolf-Ferrari Suite-Concertino isn't bad.

Matt Nickel
Bassoon and Contrabasoon, Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
MM, University of Michigan

I have a nice arrangement of Sorcerer's Apprentice for a student level bassoonist.  Look at lowBflat.com, there is even a quick sound bite of it.

Another repertoire question.  I have a talented 9th grade student looking for a Concerto-like selection to audition for youth soloist with a good youth orchestra.  Audition is in the fall, so we have some time.  She's done very well with Senaille Allegro Spiritoso, and could handle something slightly more difficult.  Would the 3rd mvt of Weber Concerto be too difficult?   I know she could handle 2nd mvt.  Any particular Vivaldi?    Any other pieces we should look at?

Thanks

Frank Watson