Topic: New bassoon case cover?

Hi all! I think this is where this topic should go...

I'm looking to buy a new case cover for my Püchner case. I still have my mom's original BROWN smile canvas cover, but I need one with backpack straps. All of the American companies' websites say that their case covers fit Fox and Heckel cases. While I measured, I want to be sure before buying one, and know that it is durable.

Could someone recommend one that they really like?

Thanks a bunch!

Alexis Janners

Re: New bassoon case cover?

Better yet, Alexis, treat your Puchner to a new Bonna case. These super compact lightweight cases have backstraps if you want them and provide plenty of protection for your horn. They are available from Forrests Music and come in canvas (very reasonable) or leather. They are so popular that the canvas version is often backordered. Just a fun recommendation from a native Chicagoan.

Gene Carter, Owner
Linden Reeds

Alexis,

I love my Kim Walker gig bag.  Offers great protection, light-weight, backpack style.  Great for battling the subway and schlepping around the city.

Steve Welgoss
Long Island, NY
bassoon@welgoss.com

If you're just looking for a great case cover,  I suggest Altieri.   You can send your measurements and send you the exact one you need!   They've got the right waterproof, insulation layers to protect your valuable instrument.   I've got one on my rounded end Fox 201 case and one on my standard Fox 220 case.   they wear like iron too.     Backpack straps, shoulder straps and pockets galore. 

just my $.02 worth

Donna Altieri custom made a cover for my unusual baroque bassoon case. Her website gives very specific instructions for proper measuring of a case of any size. Price was same as the others. These case covers provide great peace of mind for us northerners!

Cindy Cameron-Fix, Madison, Wis.

Alexis,
Your Puechner is probably in one of the old Jaeger wood cases: well-made, but very heavy and the bassoon does tend to move around a bit in them-- I know, I bought a Puechner in 1963. I've had very good luck with a Wiseman case purchased new in 1992, and when I got my Fox in 2000 I put it in the Wiseman case. I think Gene's suggestion to by a Bonna case is excellent-- probably doesn't cost much more than a good Altieri cover. Another very inexpensive, but good, case from what I have heard is the Pro-Tec. Good Luck!

David Bell, Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will look into them.

David - The reason I'm actually asking is that I have a Pro-Tec case and after 3 years, the blocking is starting to come loose. Rather than repairing it repeatedly, I'd rather stick with the original case or get a new case I can trust. I really wish I could afford the Wiseman!! smile

Thanks again!

Alexis.

Hi Alexis,  I have a Weissman case for sale if you're interested.  It's only 2 years old, has a blue interior lining and is in virtually new shape.  I'm selling it for $500.  If you're interested, send me an email at dlhartshorne@comcast.net.
Darryl