Topic: Double case question

Hello,

I'm in the market for an oboe/EH double case.  I would like something lighter than the standard Lorée double case, and was investigating the BAM cases.  Does anyone have input on how protective these cases are, such as for everyday use and/or flying?  Being based in Chicago I'm also concerned about whether or not they are well-insulated.  I've always had Altieri case covers and really loved the extra lining.

I would also appreciate any thoughts/recommendations on other types of double cases you've had luck with.

Thanks so much!

Re: Double case question

Katelyn, I'm looking for information on this topic, too!  I recently heard about someone whose English horn keys got bent inside one of the extra-light ("egg-shaped") BAM double cases.  I wonder how the "Trekking" model holds up... I like that one because it looks more like standard luggage.  I'm also concerned about the insulation issue.

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

BAM cases? Those are some of the best in the world. I don't know about English Horn cases, but I can give you the top cases for saxophone and the companies are likely to make cases for multiple instruments.

Very best:
Hiscox-for the saxophone these cases can hit $700. Really, I wouldn't worry about throwing this on a plane AND its not massive like those pelican cases. Very light and the most protective

Also good:
BAM- hiscox that shouldn't be thrown on planes but should be able to be TOSSED into car trunks

I like my BAM doublecase, it is very protective of the instrument (have it now for almost 2 years), and has plenty of room for music etc. as well.

...but for Klutzes like me it takes some getting used to, to always(!) pull the red zippers close before you pick up the case and throw it over your shoulder. Forgot twice about that and once both instruments needed repairs to fix the bent keys - has not happened for months now, so maybe I learned my lesson.

I'm using a Marcus Bonna double case for oboe and EH and for me it's the best one, much better than the Loree case cause it's also like a bag and it has spaces for music sheets and reed cases and whatelse you need

I love my BAM double case (the luggage kind). The pocket is not only big enough for music, but since there are two big pockets (one in back and one in front) I can put my laptop AND reading material in it as well which makes it the perfect carry-on for traveling. My instruments seem very secure inside. The backpack straps are great, but I also love that I can tuck them in and carry it all sorts of other ways. I have no complaints.

K

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the BAM double case compares with the Wiseman? The Bonna double case looks interesting too. I currently have a BAM X-light: I'm too nervous to continue carrying this one on flights, after watching airline staff cram other peoples bags around it. Do Wiseman & Bonna have backpack straps?

A suggestion for anyone with the BAM single oboe case, with no "seat-belts" inside it: I have added a luggage strap vertically around the case, which reminds me if I haven't done up the zips. No accidents or near-misses since that's been there.