Topic: New Rico Revitalizer double reed case

Has anyone tried the new Rico reed vitalizer automatic humidity control system for bassoon and oboe reeds?  While my clarinet and saxophone friends have always been anxious about the humidity control of their reeds, my bassoon instructors have always told me that storing double reeds in humidity-controlled cases makes no difference.  Has anyone purchased this product, and does it work?  I am tired of my reeds constantly warping in this dry winter season and am wondering if this case would make a difference:  http://store.daddario.com/category/298419/Double_Reed_Case

If music be the food of love, play on. -Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Re: New Rico Revitalizer double reed case

They work well on saxophone. Just make sure you're careful in choosing the right level of humidity. I wouldn't spring for it personally though... I live in Cali where the temperature doesn't change so much, so I'm prepared. All I need is to dip my reed in water for 3 seconds and its ready to go. And most of the time I'll either be at home with air conditioning constantly at 78 F or in a concert hall at 72 F which is just fine. Don't think you won't have to wet your reeds even with the strongest humidity though. Bassoon reeds are too valuable to play with a dangerous system like the Rico. Rico is more geared towards single reeds and the packs are designed that way. They just figured, more money easy. I'm sure some people would love them though

I purchased the Rico Revitalizer case a couple of weeks ago - I have found that basically, the humidity really doesn't do much (I have the 73% of something dang-fangled like that).  The reason I purchased it was the price - it looks like a decent reed case, has mandrels that don't swell like my old reed cases, and is quite cheap for the quality of reed case (it was only $20 bucks).  I'm quite happy with it, but not because of the humidity factor.

I bought the Rico vitalizer a few months ago and use the 73% pack. I love it, my soak time is shorter and i feel the moisture in my reeds is much more consistent from use to use now resulting in better responding reeds for me. I think using the higher humidity pack (83% i think it is) would be to much though and might promote some unwanted growth.

BA student North Central University, Minneapolis, MN.

I've been using the humidity packs along with cigar humidor bags for a little over a year now, and I've also been using the Rico double reed case and humidity packs since last fall. I'm very happy with the results. My reeds are more stable and they last a lot longer than they did before I started using the humidifers. In the humidor bags I use the 58% packs. In the reed case I've tried the 73% pack, the 69% pack that came with the cigar humidor, and a 58% and didn't notice any huge difference. The only issue I've had was when I tried to extend the life of the humidor bag a little beyond the recommended 6 months - mold grew on the reeds and the reed cases that I was keeping in the bag. So I'm being extra careful to replace the humidity pack every 3 months and the bag every 6 months, as Rico recommends. Before I tried using this system one of my reeds would last 10 days to 2 weeks at the most, and now I can play on reeds for 3 to 5 weeks, sometimes longer, with consistent sound and response.

I've been using these packets for several years now. I just throw a packet and reeds in a zip-lock bag. They've been enormously helpful in keeping my reeds stable when traveling.

Associate Professor of Bassoon, University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Principal Bassoon, Winston-Salem Symphony
Bassoon, Zéphyros Winds
Associate Editor, IDRS.org

I also bought a couple of these as they were quite cheap even shipping to UK and thought it worth a shot. Agree with Carol - makes reeds last longer, especially when rooms have central heating and can really get dry. I only have the case with the 73% packs and they work well. I haven't seen the bags mentioned? Can someone post a link? I have other reed cases and it is very obvious when I get a reed out of a normal case that I haven't used for a while or that is new and needing to be blown in that these take a lot more soaking and fiddling around with than when I have had them in the Rico case.  My worry was that the reeds would not last as long as they were kept "wetter" but actually they really do seem to be kept at a constant rather than too wet when wet and far too dry when being toasted/air conditioned. So for once I say "does what it says on the tin".
Tom

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not believe in trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler 1860-1911

http://www.tomhardybassoon.com

Here is what I found online about the humidor bags:
http://www.humidipak.com/Products/HumidorBag/faq.aspx
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/fuhuba.html
http://store.daddario.com/category/146386/Reed_Vitalizer

The Humidipak site has lots of info about the humidifer packs themselves. I use the medium size Fuente bag. It's a heavier plastic than a regular ziplock bag.

Many thanks Carol - all makes sense now. Has anyone used the Hygro Reed Case for Bassoon  made by Reeds N Stuff? This looks great but a friend said it just made her reeds mouldy! (Maybe she was keeping them too wet). And it would seem to be a one way thing of keeping some moisture in there so lacking the great thing about the Rico system (two way control). However, the Rico one is not a nice wooden box and has a cheap feel. Already after a few months the plastic looks tatty. Think there a space in the market for a high quality case that is still wooden, uses the Rico revitalizer packs and will last for years!

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not believe in trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler 1860-1911

http://www.tomhardybassoon.com