Topic: where do *you* do early music?

OK, another question to help us get acquainted:

Where do you do early music?  And is it exclusively with double reeds, or do you perform in other ways as well (recorder, strings, singing)?

I play shawms and dulcian at the Texas Toot workshops (see www.toot.org), but there are few opportunities during the rest of the year to play with others.  I have played dulcian as the bass of a recorder group in a couple of different concerts, and it worked pretty well -- with a super-quiet reed that I hold in reserve as my "recorder reed"!

I also sing (mostly) and sometimes play recorders with the Texas Early Music Project.  I did get to play shawm in their production of "The Play of Daniel" for the last 2 years;  it was pretty funny that I was dressed as a court lady (singing), and then I'd slip into the group of quite differently-dressed court musicians and blast away on shawm!

And I also play recorders a lot;  I'm a member of the Wireless Consort up in Dallas/Ft Worth, and active in the Austin chapter of ARS (American Recorder Society).

How about you?        Cheers, Susan

Susan Richter :: Austin, TX :: bassoon, dulcian

Re: where do *you* do early music?

OK, another question to help us get acquainted:

Where do you do early music?  And is it exclusively with double reeds, or do you perform in other ways as well (recorder, strings, singing)?

Hi Susan!

My baroque Recorder teacher at Emory University, who is head of their Early Music Division, actually performs with the Atlanta Baroque Orchestra.  I am on the Board of the ABO and responsible for development/fundraising which translates into writing proposals for selling the music of say Buxtehude in Atlanta..."Membra Jesu Nostri" during Lent of 2007--a project on which I am now totally focued.  Selling early music in the South is a challenge as we wage war against gangster "rap."

Keep posting!

Janie

Atlanta Baroque Orchestra
"Bach is Bach, as God is God."
   - Hector Berlioz

My name is Earl North, and I live in NH. I'm retired,but still active. I was part of an early music group that played professionally in the '70's and '80's. I played shawm K-horn, korthholt and bassoon in addition to all the recorders. Lot of fun. Today, I play in a sr. cit. recorder group, and use an old french basson to double the bass rec part. Also lot's of fun.
Earl

It's good to meet you, Janie and Earl!  Hopefully we will hear from some other early music folks on this thread.

Susan Richter :: Austin, TX :: bassoon, dulcian

I'm a freelance professional oboist in the Seattle area, and I love to play as much early music as I can fit in around my "modern" oboe playing and teaching activities.  Recorder was my first instrument, and I played and sang in the Early Music Ensemble as an undergraduate at UC Davis, then in the Collegium Musicum at the University of Washington as a grad student.  Now I coordinate a recorder ensemble at my church that plays a few times a year at services.  I also teach recorder (as well as oboe) at Music Works Northwest, and had a great time co-teaching a 3rd grade classroom recorder program at West Woodland Elementary School this past spring.  Once or twice a season (if I'm lucky) I get to play Baroque oboe with one of our local groups, most recently for Seattle Pro Musica & Baroque Northwest's collaboration on Bach's B Minor Mass this past May.  That was a real thrill.  I'm looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Darlene Franz, M. M.
Seattle, WA
Oboes, Historical Oboes, Recorders

Hello All - I just started playing the baroque oboe this summer, though I have been playing the modern oboe for almost 11 years.  I am about to start my second year as an oboe performance master's degree student at Florida State University.  I attended the Baroque Performance Institute this summer, and have now decided to keep going in that direction after finishing up at FSU.  I am looking for places to study after graduation to pursue perhaps another master's degree or performer's diploma in either baroque oboe performance or historical performance practice.  FSU has a great early music department, but it is geared more towards musicology than performance.  I am very excited because this fall I will playing in the baroque ensemble, but so far that is my only opportunity to "do early music," as was the title of this thread.  smile  I look forward to talking more with you all.  Since I will be relatively on my own at FSU (we don't have an early oboe instructor), I may be looking to some of you for advice some time!
Cheers,
Claire Williamson

Hello,
I live in Jerusalem, Israel and love to play the early oboes and bassoons.  Since there isn't much organized for early music here, I play any way I can -- alone,  with Music MInus One, with friends, with modern instruments.  I even play in a klezmer group on my bass dulcian.  Our klezmer audience always wants to know, "what is that thing?"

Sarah Cordish
baroque oboe, baroque bassoon, and dulcian

The early music scene looks pretty small in this forum. Not too many are looking at the few early music themes.
I play baroque violin, recorders of all kinds and sizes, gemshorns, crummhorns, and since about two years a dulcian from Eric Moulder. The dulcian is a lot of fun to play and it sounds wonderfully together with a consort of renaissance recorders. I have played the dulcian in a few concerts and I am looking for more opportunities.
My wife plays a modern bassoon from Guntram Wolf. She started to play two years ago too.
With recorders and baroque violin I play at 415 only. Therefore I intend to start with the baroque bassoon quite soon. I just have to find an affordable instrument.