Re: Welcome

Yoshi,
It is nice to see how well the shift from list to forum seems to working.  I personally find it much more convienient and useful.

Robert Stein
UCLA
Los Angeles, CA

Rather than coming to the forum, can I still get e-mailed letters, as in the old list-serv?  That, in digest form, was much easier to use than this forum: I just opened my e-mail box and everything was there.  Now I have to go to IDRS.org, log on....or am I missing something?

Robert Howe

Hi Robert:
The forum will remember your log in each time you visit, unless you log out.  You can't have e-mails of each and every topic sent to you by e-mail, but you can subscribe to those topics that interest you (click on "subscribe to this topic" at the bottom of the posts) and then whenever a new post is made to that topic an e-mail will be sent to you.  I hope this helps somewhat.  Take care, Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Hi Robert-  I just made this forum a Link that shows up in a list of other links, to the right of my screen.  All I have to do is click on it, then click on the link that says "Show all posts since last visit".  That way I only see the stuff that's new to me.  Depending on whcih browser you use (I use MSN), the set-up might be a little different but it's the same idea--- you  are setting this forum as a favorite that you can access with just a click.

Darlene

What I dislike most about reading this forum is that it's tedious to navigate. After I read a thread I have to use the back arrow on my browser to go back to the index, then click on the next thread I want to read. If there's a long list it's hard to tell where I stopped reading. If I read only some of the new messages, I'm not sure if the ones I didn't read come up the next time I click on "Show new messages since last visit" or not. I may be missing messages, but I don't always have time to read everything I want to at once.

On another forum I belong to, the index of threads is always on the the left side of the screen. You can go from one topic to the next with 1 click. After you've opened a thread it changes color in the index so you can tell where you are. I find that much more convenient. With that forum I'm inclined to read all the messages -- even on topics I'm not particularly interested in. On this forum I find I read only a few because the constant moving back and forth and trying to figure out where I am is too much trouble.

Sydney Rott