Topic: Small openings with narrow shape

I posted this on the IDRS email listing, but I thought I'd try out this new forum as well.

My question is this: I have been trying my teacher's Gilbert -1N shaper tip, using 10-10.5mm cane and tying between 70 and 71mm, and my openings have all come out rather small.  Does the narrow shape tend to result in small openings? Should I tie at a different length, or perhaps use a smaller diameter cane? Thanks for any advice!

Tim

Timothy Singer, oboist, IAA '05
"Son, don't ever take 'no' from an inanimate object." John Mack

Re: Small openings with narrow shape

Tim,

I also use the Gilbert -1N and 10-10.5mm cane.  I tie at 72.5mm.  If you tie it longer and still make reeds that are around the same finished length (my finished reeds are around 70 mm) the openings will be larger.  When you tie longer you'll have to chop more off to get to your finished length which gives you the larger opening.  Best of luck!

Kristana

It depends also on the staple you are using.
Lets say compare Glotin to Loree staples: The Glotin staples have a much bigger opening, and resulting from that, the opening at the tip becomes smaller. Loree staples vice versa: The opening of the staple is quite small, the cane has to bend much more to close on the sides, and the opening of the reed is much larger...
A friend of mine made a whole series of experiments with different staples, reed lengths (before clipping) and cane diameters, and the differences of the openings after clipping were amazing.. Unfortunately, he didn't take any pictures...

Kathrin Brun
[url=http://www.oboist.ch]http://www.oboist.ch[/url]

Hi Tim,

With my experience I have found that smaller cane, around 10.25mm diameter will help with the openings a lot. You may need to make sure that the gouge on the sides of your shaped cane doesn't get too thin. I like thick sides, around 47-49 with 60 in the center. With this combo, I have found that my openings are very nice.

Hope this helps.

Joseph Shalita
www.makingoboereeds.com
www.sheet-music-search.com

I agree that a smaller diameter tube cane an also a staple with a smaller opening, like the Loree staples, will both help you get a larger opening. Also, be sure to tie your blanks tightly. If you happen to tie loosely, you can kiss your opening and just about everything else goodbye.

David Schast
reedmaster@reedmaster.com
www.reedmaster.com

David Schast

Good suggestions.  Since you already have some staples you are using, I would definitely try tying longer first even to 73-73.5 (47mm staple).