Topic: Reed machines

Hello all.
What brand reed making machines do you use? What are good and bad sides of them? Which is most popular?
Thanks

Re: Reed machines

Which machines are you interested in exactly?

Michael Macaulay
2nd Bassoon, Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony

????????? ???????!?????????? ?????????? ?? ??? ?????????? ???? ????? ? ???????????? ?????? Profile,????? ???? ???????:Rieger,Reeds n Stuff ??? Rimpl??? ??????????? ???????? ????? ? ??????. ? ????????? ? ?????? ???????? ?????????? ??????????? ???.??????? ??????????!

All 3,
Gouging, profiling and tip profiling.
Thanks

Michael Macaulay wrote:

Which machines are you interested in exactly?

???? ?????????? ?????? ?????? ????????!? ????? ??????? ??? ?????? ?????? ?? ???? ????????? ???????!

Many use the Rieger machines and are very happy with them.  Also, many use the Reeds N Stuff and they are top notch (great).  Eventually I will need a new profiler and I am deciding between these 2.  Both are beautifully made and will last a long time.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Kent Moore wrote:

Many use the Rieger machines and are very happy with them.  Also, many use the Reeds N Stuff and they are top notch (great).  Eventually I will need a new profiler and I am deciding between these 2.  Both are beautifully made and will last a long time.

??????? ??????? ?? ??? ????? ? ?????????1

You are welcome.  I am not sure if this link will work for you http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/search.php?search_id=157000708 

If not do a search on this forum for Rieger Reeds Stuff and you will get some more opinions.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

I've used a Popkin profiler for three years and I'm very happy with it. It's a very solid machine, built to last! I've only encountered a couple of minor drawbacks. First, adjusting the ramp height can get a little bit fussy - it can take a long time to get it set just right. The second is that if you profile before shaping, wider pieces of gouged cane (i.e. Rigotti) won't fit the machine. This isn't a problem for me because I shape first, but worth a second thought if you want to use a fold-over shaper.

Michael Macaulay
2nd Bassoon, Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony

I own a reed N stuff profiler. Its a very good machine. Well built, and very adjustable.
What I enjoy most with this machine is that it has two ramps for adjusting height. So you can actually make a tip taper/double wedge profile on the profiler.

Thank you all!

Watch innovations from Rhodes Reeds, Cane & Tools.  I have a single profiler which takes cane off the blade center to side in a bassoon reed like fashion and the slope from center to side is adjustable.  No other profiler has this sort of adjustment.  I also have pregouger  and gouger designs which are quick and inexpensive.  I have one prototype out there and I just want to make sure it's OK to post the users contact information.  I do think my design is better than any other single profiler design.  Lawrence Rhodes/Rhodes Reeds, Cane & Tools.