Topic: Profilers

Hello all,
Thank you so much for your really great and helpful comments on previous threads. Several threads were posted about the Reiger machine and the Reeds n' Stuff machine. How about the Popkin machine? I am looking to purchase a profiler in about two to three months. My teacher uses the Herzberg machine, and I love how exact it can be. Can you get similar results on these other machines?

Also does anyone have any knowledge on the DeBolt shaper by Fox or prior use?
Thanks
Andrew

Re: Profilers

Also, anyone know anything about the MDReeds machine?

ahc201 wrote:

Also, anyone know anything about the MDReeds machine?

Some feedback on their site in case you haven't seen that http://www.mdreedproducts.com/testimonials.html

And also here http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/viewtopic.php?id=9000

They look like very good profilers at an amazing price.  Wish I could try one.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

I bought an MDReeds profiler and I'm very happy with it ... and I do not mean that I'm only happy with it for the price.  There is nothing in the least bit inferior nor were any corners cut in the design and manufacture of this unit.   It is a simple, elegant design and it is easily adjustable.  The wear surfaces are steel so I expect that it will last very well.  The numbered dials for setting the depth are very convenient and the adjustment mechanism is robust and repeatable.  The only adjustment I felt was necessary was to the depth of the blade - I reduced it a bit to get a cleaner cut without tearing the cane.  I also experimented with setting the machine to form a spine or not by just rotating the pins in the ends of the barrel so that the flats pointed up.

I have a friend who has a Herzberg profiler and we compared the results with that and the MDReeds unit.  The Herzberg is undeniably the Rolls Royce of profilers!  Also, the Herzberg profiler and shaper are a system meant to be used together to get the spine properly located.  However (and this may cause some controversy!) I think that there is an element of false precision in this endeavor.  Even if you produce pieces of profiled cane that are all matched in their dimensions to a few tenths of a mil, the variation of cane hardness etc. is such that some final finishing is almost always required.  I found that the MD machine could reproduce results to better than 1/2 mil precision - which is admittedly difficult to measure on a squishy material like cane.

I am an amateur and I probably make about 50-75 reeds a year so I couldn't really justify spending $1500+ on a profiler, but for $599 I thought I would give this try and I could not be more pleased.

I'd like to add that I do not know the folks at MDReeds and that I paid the regular price.

Mark

I can confirm. I own a Md profiler in addition to my Rieger profiler. I owned before a lot of expensive profilers. I can really compare the results of Md machine with the Rieger machine but the Md profiler is much more easily adjustable. This is very nice, well thought and constructed machine. The only missing feature is scribing blade for collar but  it's not really necessary because the profiler cuts very cleanly this part. This is a lot of machine for the price and, actually, IMHO, the best deal.

Bassoonist and contrabassoon solo in Royal Opera House "La Monnaie" Brussels