Topic: Fox 660

I was wondering if anyone has an experience with the Fox 660 that they would like to share.  I am very curious.  Thanks.

Steve Welgos
Long Island, NY

Steve Welgoss
Long Island, NY
bassoon@welgoss.com

Re: Fox 660

This is going to only be somewhat helpful I'm afraid as I don't have a very recent frame of reference.

I like them over the 601 instruments.  Very nice sound, very easy to get around on them.  Overall just a great instrument.  If you get the chance to try one out you really should.  They're not as hefty as the 601's in terms of sound I don't think, but that's not a bad thing at all.  I've thought the 601's were a bit too hefty myself.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

when I tried some 660s at Ithaca this summer, I felt it was very similar to the 601 but was more expensive, so for my money I went with the 601.

You are correct, Christopher. I'm a happy owner of a 201D and am having an old Heckel restored. I have tested several recent 601's and 660's and they are totally different instruments-- I think the 660's are a marvelous bassoon: imagine a thick-walled instrument with the response and resonance of a prewar Heckel! Just my $.02...

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

I really like my 660.

It was a sweet, buttery sound-- VERY clean, no mud in the tone at all.

Great too for "electric" sounds, static ppp high notes sans vibrato

Low register is a little sharp but its better suited for upper stuff anyways. Its tenor range SINGS so beautifully and the altissimo register pops out with little effort. I got a high f key installed on mine, and its amazing!

Very flexible and expressive, and excellent 1st bassoon-type instrument. Projects well above an orchestra, you can really snap your articulations out and add a nice pop to the group sound.

As with any instrument, it's really going to be about trying a variety of the 660's. I've tried my fair share of them, in general, I don't prefer them. But sometimes you'll run across one that's amazing! I usually love the 601's, but that's just because they suit my taste, and I've only ever played 2 that I nearly killed myself over.

You can follow me on Instagram @bbrmusic.