Topic: Opus1 Gouger

Hello! Has anyone had experience with the Opus1 Gouger?  Positive or Negative?  Do you like the clip-less design?

Re: Opus1 Gouger

I absolutely love my Opus 1!  Robin has designed this machine, from top to bottom, with user-friendliness in mind.  It is by far the easiest double radius machine to use, adjust, maintain, etc.  It is extremely accurate/consistent, and adjustments are just as easily REVERSED as they are made.  The clipless aspect means you don't have to worry about damaging the blade by lowering it onto a clip -- and makes it much easier to site down the bed for blade/carriage adjustments.  Cane does not slide around in the bed while gouging, producing very consistent results.  Make sure you also get his "gouge point location gauge," a tool I would highly recommend to anyone who gouges their own cane.

Drawbacks:  The cane grippers will hold just about any piece of cane in place, including crooked/warped pieces that other machines would probably "spit out."  So (as always), it's important to carefully inspect the cane for straightness.  Also, while Robin is probably the nicest guy in the entire Western Hemisphere (I can't speak for the Eastern side of the planet), he can be very hard to get a hold of sometimes.  Email is the best way to ask him questions, but don't expect an immediate response every time.

If you have other questions, please feel free to PM me.

Best,

Jonathan

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com

If you would like to hear some absolutely GORGEOUS playing on an "Opus1 gouger reed", go to Jonathan's website. His playing is so beautiful that upon hearing it, I HAD to call him, a perfect stranger, on the phone to tell him how touched I was by it!

David Crispin
Crispin's Creations and Accessories
freelance oboist. Mississippi Symphony Orchestra
www.CrispinsCreations.com

*blush*

Thank you David.

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
www.marzlufreeds.com

Does he make an English horn machine?

No, Bryan, he does not.  But he should!  Actually, I have very recently sent Robin a note asking him if he has plans for an E.H. machine, but I have not yet heard back from him.  I will re-post when I do.

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
www.marzlufreeds.com

So I have I. I emailed him in October but I haven't gotten a response.