Topic: Music Schools

Being in Western Wisconsin, I'm sick of winters. :-) Does anyone know of good music schools in tropical areas?  I guy can dream...

Re: Music Schools

Colburn? Its in LA...REALLY difficult to get into however....

Couple of good schools in Florida. Big schools though, so not sure how competitive the bassoons and oboe studios would be there.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

It sounds weird, but going to school in Cleveland is almost nice because you are forced to stay inside during the winter and practice more.  Maybe that's why most conservatories are located in the northern U.S......?!

David Husby
CIM '14

bsndavid wrote:

It sounds weird, but going to school in Cleveland is almost nice because you are forced to stay inside during the winter and practice more.  Maybe that's why most conservatories are located in the northern U.S......?!

Try Lawrence University in Appleton, WI. Very brutal winters there. Many hours in the basement of the music building, drilling away at scales and tonguing exercises.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

If you hate winter, find a winter hobby. I'm from Canada, and I despised\loathed\hated winter in equal parts.  Then I started skiing, liked it, but found it more than a bit expensive.  So I became a ski patroller so I could ski for free, and it is so much fun that I am now in mourning because of the coming of spring.  The ski hill closes on Sunday, and I'll have to wait until next November for my next fix.  Oh, the horror!!!
At least, there's orchestra to look forward to.

Learn to love the season, it's not like it's going to go away, and it takes a lot less energy to enjoy yourself in winter than it does to continuously hate the weather.  If you're always cold, then buy clothing that is better suited for the season.  A good outdoor shop will have what you need, and it pays itself off very quickly.

Last edited by Dean (2011-04-01 06:00:50)

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!