Topic: Can you play oboe after a tonsillectomy/adnoidectomy??

My 15 year old son is a fifth year oboist and had recent surgery. When he blows into the reed, airs comes out of his nose, he has mised a concert and a festival so far at his school. The nurse said it was due to his adnoid removal. Will this heal or is the opening permanent? Has anyone had any experience with this situation? We are questioning the necessity of his surgery at this point. It has been about four weeks and the doctor's office hasn't been much help. Please help and forgive me for spelling andnoid incorrectly.

Leah

Last edited by lmaher (2011-04-01 05:24:33)

Re: Can you play oboe after a tonsillectomy/adnoidectomy??

Actually I had my tonsils out when I was in my 30s.  I had this same problem, and it should go away.  Over the years,  several other people have posted this question so I think it is normal for a while after the surgical procedure.

Thank-you delmar, he has been blowing through a reed to exercise the area a couple times a day. He says that it is getting better. He did so well at his solo and ensemble that we found this very disconcerting. I appreciate your response.

Content Mom

my pleasure

There are quite a few postings on this forum related to the topic. Search for "air leaking," I think.  Basically, his soft palate needs to be strengthened - besides working with the reed, practicing making a "guh" sound - holding the air on the initial g for quite a while before letting the air go, is also helpful. He can do this in sets, like lifting weights.

Kendra Johnson