Topic: Fox Renard Model 51 short reach bassoon

If a school has money for only 1 bassoon, would  anyone purchase this model for Middle School grades 6-8?  Or do you purchase a full size bassoon and not worry about students that can't reach the fingerings.

Re: Fox Renard Model 51 short reach bassoon

If you just said 6th grade I would say model 51. Going into 7th and 8th though, I would say model 41 would be better, as it's closer for the student that is developing to be more used to standard sized equipment. You still have the left finger plateau key, which is the most important really.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I have recently seen a really nice Polisi that had modified keywork for small hands.  Last I heard, it was for sale, but the seller told me that someone was interested in it.  If you want, I can pass her your coordinates, as it would be far less expensive than any Fox, and a better bassoon as well.

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

Dean, while your suggestion is probably appropriate for a private buyer, if he's buying for a school with school funds he probably has to take competitive bids on new items only as part of a district policy. Purchasing for government institutions like schools can get complicated.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds