Topic: Gonzalez bassoon cane

Dear all pro bassoonist,

"Gonzalez bassoon cane" Can anyone tell me about the reed of this type of bassoon cane. Any feedback. Probary I'm very instrested about this cane. Will appreciated your feedback.

Thanks

Re: Gonzalez bassoon cane

Hi

I'm not the biggest fan of Gonzales cane.  It's very cheap, yes, but to use an old hat, you get what you pay for.  If I'm really strapped for cane a bundle of Gonzales can usually net me 2 or 3 (if that) concert-quality reeds, with the rest being low-quality (that is, poor response and intonation) practice reeds at best.  Usually, though, the reeds are junk.

Best to spend a bit more and get better stuff.  Recently I've started to use some Australian cane with very nice results.

Matt Nickel
Bassoon and Contrabasoon, Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
MM, University of Michigan

I tried Gonzalez cane from Gene Carter (Linden Reeds) and had good luck with it.   Gene gouges himself and I've liked his cane!

Mark Ortwein
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
OrtweinWoodwinds.com

Hmmm... maybe it needs more love from me?

Matt Nickel
Bassoon and Contrabasoon, Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
MM, University of Michigan

Dear,

I got the contact with retailer Gonzalez. He would be able to give a special price when purchase couple of dozen. I really instered about this cane. Because I heard many of you all has a good impression. But anyway currently I'm using Rigoti cane supplied by SUMMER REED. Their cane is consistent and good response. I'm looking for to try Gonzalez cane.
Thanks you help.....have a nice day.

Dearl All,

hei hei hei.......Recently I happen to meet a "Prestini USA" website. They are double reed suplier as well in America region. I found that the price for GSP cane is more afforable than other supplier. Just only $2 per piece. Can anyone give me some advise and feedback about their GSP cane. Meantime, I found that the price of straight shaper is affordable as well. I think that they work close with Charles double reed and Runyon Co.

here is the path to the "Prestini USA"
http://prestiniusa.net/cart/index.php?

Have a nice day.

I have been asked to custom make bassoon reeds for a bassoon that tends to be flat in the tenor notes (b - f above the bass clef staff).  I am hoping someone will share techniques in reed making that will bring up these notes. I have tried two techniques so far with no conclusive results i.e. 1"1/16 reed length (shorter reed) and Herzberg bevel that yields a more open tip opening.

I look forward to hearing about the experience of other reed makers that have come across this issue.  Thank you!
Elisabeth Romano
www.ReedExpertise.com

Try beveling farther up the reed, making the throat smaller.  Or try a smaller shape.

Mark Ortwein
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
OrtweinWoodwinds.com

Ortreed,
Thank you for the idea to bevel further up tube to produce smaller tube. I have been doing that already.

I would like to give my two cents on my experience Gonzalez/Argendonax cane. I have bought Argendonax from Bob Williams and liked it very much, then I ordered Gonzalez/Argendonax from Mid West Musical Import because Bob has been away and it is extremely thickly gouged and the cane is white in color (as compared to golden) and the reeds come out very, very dark sounding.  The cane from Bob Williams and the cane from Mid West musical Imports were so different from each other. It seems to me that we are using one name for two completely different cane products.

Comments?

I am looking for a new source when Mr. Williams cannot supply me for my reed making business.  I will look into Gene Carter and I am trying Donati and Glotin again.
Elisabeth Romano
www.ReedExpertise.com

rswbassoon wrote:

I process Argendonax cane and love it.  The gouged cane is the cleanest, straightest tube cane I buy and very consistent.  When I open a box of the cane and compare to any other cane I have purchased in the last few years there is no comparison.

where can I buy Argendonax cane??? I really want to order that, but cant find any!:(

TheaIselinØyhus wrote:
rswbassoon wrote:

I process Argendonax cane and love it.  The gouged cane is the cleanest, straightest tube cane I buy and very consistent.  When I open a box of the cane and compare to any other cane I have purchased in the last few years there is no comparison.

where can I buy Argendonax cane??? I really want to order that, but cant find any!:(

Contact Bob Williams http://www.womblewilliams.com/supplies/

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

TheaIselinØyhus wrote:
rswbassoon wrote:

www.mmimports.com
We carry it here (and I use the GSP stuff). Tube cane as well as processed. I think Bob processes it himself, the stuff we carry is processed by the manufacturer.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

A local music store tried Gonzalez cane and said that everyone tried it.  Once.  He did not order any more.

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

Hey, if you guys don't like it that means there's more of it for me! (I use it and really like it)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Try some from Bob Williams-- I think you'll like it!

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

I tried some from Midwest, didn't like it, then tried some from Bob Williams and it was really decent I was surprised.

David Husby
CIM '14

nickmatt wrote:

Hi

I'm not the biggest fan of Gonzales cane.  It's very cheap, yes, but to use an old hat, you get what you pay for.  If I'm really strapped for cane a bundle of Gonzales can usually net me 2 or 3 (if that) concert-quality reeds, with the rest being low-quality (that is, poor response and intonation) practice reeds at best.  Usually, though, the reeds are junk.

Best to spend a bit more and get better stuff.  Recently I've started to use some Australian cane with very nice results.

I might disagree. I've been using Gonzalez for over 15 years with great results.
I'm an official Gonzalez cane distributor for North America, and I have as customers several principal bassoonists of the best orchestras in America and Europe, who absolutely love the cane. I believe that someone should be able to get quality products without getting ripped off.
I don't know the cane other people sell under the Gonzalez name, but the quality of the cane I sell is very high.
Additionally, I'm friends with the factory's owner, Pablo Gonzalez (we are both Argentinean), and we are constantly trying to offer our customers the best quality and price.

TheaIselinØyhus wrote:
rswbassoon wrote:

Contact me