Topic: recommendations - contrabassoon stand?

I know someone who wants to purchase a contrabassoon stand for an older Puchner contra. He wants to emphasize sturdiness and stability over portability, although portability is a factor. He'd prefer not to have one whose design mimics a scaled-up portable music stand. I told him that I'd inquire on his behalf.

The instrument's layout has the descending column, ascending column, and wood bell forming a triangle (when viewed from above or below), instead of being in the true "paperclip" wrap most often found with opera model contras. This gives it a somewhat different shape from a standard contra, thus making it fit less well in stands such as the Fox.

Any recommendations?

TIA.

Re: recommendations - contrabassoon stand?

The only commercially available one I've ever heard of or seen is the Fox.  All the other contra stands I've seen or used have been custom made wood monsters.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I use a K&M stand for portability, and the Fox stand at home. I've heard very good things about Robert Williams' stand, although it is a "wood monster"...

David bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

I have a stand from Bob Williams.  It is all iron, well padded, and solid as a rock.

Hey Will,

Long time!

I'd just recommend having another bassoonist hold it. big_smile

On a serious note, I like the durability and portability trade offs with all of the K&M stuff. They really think about what they're making.

Best of luck to your friend!

You can follow me on Instagram @bbrmusic.

Hey Will,

I used a K&M stand earlier this year and it worked great. It folds up nicely and is reasonably lightweight but is sturdily built. The cradle is pretty wide so it can take a variety of instrument body types. I had a low A Mollenhauer in it and I was never worried that it was going to tip over or shift on me. (IU also owns a monstrous cast-iron stand that looks like a scratching post. I wouldn't recommend that one nearly as much.)

Michael Macaulay
2nd Bassoon, Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony

Well I am using K&M stand which I consider it the best for Portability . It is very Hard and Strong like Iron . Moreover , I would like to know about the Robert Williams stand if any body have an experience of using it . Please share your views about it .

Torrian

I vote for the Fox stand - when I used to play contra (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) I actually played it ON the Fox stand - I just had to modify the angle of the bocal a little bit and it was perfect.

I have the stand Bob Williams sells and I think it is the best stand available - if you don't need it to be portable. 

Mark

Last edited by ortreed (2011-05-22 15:36:01)

Mark Ortwein
Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
OrtweinWoodwinds.com

I can agree with Mark. The university I went to had one, and it is a very solid, sturdy stand. Its made out welded iron, and pwder enamel coated, with very dense foam on the cradle arms. It is definitely not a portable stand, it has to weigh about 30-40 lbs. But it is well made and solid

Cordially,
Chad

Taylor Bassoon Services
723 Steamboat Ct
Ottawa, IL 61350
PH-815-343-2492

I would also vouch for the K&M stand.  It's good and sturdy, and the adjustable height and angle of it is nice.

Alternatively, what I've done in the past is to find a nice padded chair, and lay the contra on that when not in use.  A little more awkward, but gets the job done.

Matt Nickel
Bassoon and Contrabasoon, Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
MM, University of Michigan