Topic: Reeds Profiler - MD Reeds Product

Dear All,

Recently MD Reeds Product launched their new production of Reeds Profiler. Wow...the launching price are so unbelieveable. But so far someone could give any comments about it. #Transaction by Paypal

thanks
DT

Re: Reeds Profiler - MD Reeds Product

Dear All,

Transaction by Paypal is more secured rather than by master card? Because it is provided refund if we don't received the goods.

thanks
Dt

Dear,

The design of the reeds profiler quite similiar to B.H. Bell - Canada bassoon maker. How about your comments?

Although the machine not neccesary for me but the price are so unbelievable and affordable. Is it the Scam?

http://www.bellbassoons.com/products_profiler.htm

thanks
Dt

Dear All,

I still remembered that when the B.H. Bell Canada bassoon maker launched their profiler production. The launching price was almost $1250/= above few year later increased into $1500/=. So cheap I'm going to have one.

thanks
Dt

Dear All,

No wonder so cheap because it is the used profiler (used profiler) ha ha ha.....

thanks

Deal All,

Could them upload some demonstration of the machine. What are the special feather or function and the how  the adjustment? #Youtube

thanks

DT,

One of our goals in developing this profiler was to make a machine which serious bassoon students and hobbyists can afford, and yet still make the profiler high enough quality that every professional bassoonist will want one.  After all, for the price of some of the profilers on the market today you could almost buy the milling machine I use to make them!  The other goal was to make it easy to adjust.  No tools, no remembing how many washers you used on each side or what thickness, just the number!

I would also be happy to answer any questions you have about the profiler, either here in the forum or you can email me at paul@mdreedproducts.com. 

I am working on a YouTube video and hope to have it available soon.

Thanks,
Paul

Dear,

This machine come any extra barrel for profiling Contra bassoon reeds? May I know how long the size of the barrel?
I will one machine with both profiling function (Bassoon and ContraBassoon)

Sunny

Sunny,

The barrell on the machine is long enough for contra reeds.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Sunny:

I recently saw the MD profiler at the IDRS convention. First off let me say I really think that this is ALOT of machine for the price. I got a chance to profile a couple pieces of cane on it, I used dry gouged cane as thats one of the first tests I like to do as some machnes blades arent sharp or strong enough to profile it dry, this machine does it just fine.

The barrel is indeed long enough for contra cane but there wasnt enough clearance between the inside of the clamps, cane barrel to get he clamps over the cane, I made the suggestion for the production models to mill down the flat area where the clamps screws make contact with the barrel so there can be more clearance for the clamps to go over the cane.

The dial adjustable ramp is a fantastic idea, I wish someone wouldve though of it sooner. I slo like the idea of 2  different pattern ramps that can be interchanged.

If anything that the machine lacked and would like to is a shoulder scribing blade to remove the burr out of the blade collar.Still thats another thing that racks up in price of a profiling machine.

All and all I think this is alot of machine for the price, and anyone looking for a profiler should really consider one of these machines.

Great job Paul and Susan, I think your really onto something!!!

Best Regards,
                                                                         Chad

Taylor Bassoon Services
723 Steamboat Ct
Ottawa, IL 61350
PH-815-343-2492

Dear All,

That's great.....at least got one reliable feedback from experience double reed expert about MD Reeds Profiler. The only thing that the website must be improved and presented more professional for customer. Otherwise the information, design look a bit scam website.

When the profller in stock kindly let me know......

Thanks

Sunny,

Let me assure you that we are committed to quality and if you order a profiler you will be happy with what you receive.  If you are not, you can contact me and we will do all that we can to remedy any issue.

Also, I have made the change that Chad suggessted in order to handle contra cane.

Thanks,
Paul
MD Reed Products

Hi Paul:

Your new machine looks great.  I have a few questions.

I see you can customize the profiler to some extent.  Are the flat spots on the barrel that create the spine standard?

How many blades are provided?

Are the blades carbide?

Can you please explain how the blade can be returned to the same spot after sharpening.  If it is sharpened and the blade is smaller then do you use the washers to compensate?

Chad refers to 2 different pattern ramps.  Are 2 included or would you have to order the 2nd and how much would it cost?

From the pictures it looks as though there is a sudden taper on the ramp near where the tip of the reed will be.  Is that right?

What other tools/products are you planning to produce?

Thanks for your help.  Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Kent,

Thank you! Thanks to Chad as well for his great comments and feedback.  Yes, the flat spots on the barrel pins to create the spine are standard.  In fact, the pins are held in place with set screws so if for some reason you did not want this feature you could loosen the set screws and rotate the pins so that the profiler does not automatically create the spine (the disadavntage there is that you will find that the adjustment of the ramp height may change).

2 blades are included and they are carbide (I have found that dispite the difficulty in working with carbide, it is absolutely the best material for the blade).

The concept with the blade is that when it is sharpened a small amount of material may or may not be removed from the tip of the blade.  If material is removed, the distance between the tip of the blade and the cane will be greater than it was before.  The original distance can then be restored by removing shim washers from between the blade carrier and the blade mount. 

One ramp is provided with the profiler but a custom ramp can be ordered ($30).  You can also request just about any special modification you would like such as special etching on the barrel, etc.  There is a taper on the ramp which can be adjusted by loosening the screws that secure the ramp and sliding it either direction.  If you do not desire the taper, the ramp can also be turned upside down.

We are planning on producing many other products such as a tip profiler, dial indicator, shapers, etc., all with the intent of being both affordable and innovative.

Thanks,
Paul
MD Reed Products

Thanks for all the information, Paul.  It all sounds wonderful.  Best of luck with all your products.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

I have had Paul Deagan's MDReed Profile for about a week.  It is not a scam but it amazing that he has such a high quality product for such a low price.  The workmanship and appearance are far better than the $1800 one I used at Glickman Popkin bassoon camp.   After taking Jim Poe's reedmaking workshop at the camp, I became convinced that I could make much more consistent reeds with my own profiler.  Jim Poe emphasizes accuracy in making reeds and the profiler allows one to get pretty close to the final reed desired.

MDreeds has added two large knurrled numbered adjustment screws underneath the hardened stainless steel ramp that gives the profile.  I have already experimented with making reeds at his original settings and have gradually lower the ramps one notch at a time.  Using a dial gage with tongue, I measured the thickness at various points from the tip to just before the collar.  It was about 0.05 mm for each number just as Paul says.  The ramp has a breakpoint where it angles down more towards the tip making it ideal for double taper reeds which I think are pretty standard.  The ramp can be slid back and forth once the holding screws are loosened, so that the break point for the start of the tip taper can be changed.  By raising only the tip end of the ramp or only the collar end, the angle of the slope can be changed.

On top of everything else, aluminum parts are anodized with blue being the no extra charge color.  Most steel parts are stainless so rust isn't a concern.  The cutting blade is carbide steel which I assume is similar to carbide circular saw blades.  If that isn't enough he added a second blade.  And finally the 2 allen wrenches needed for screws are held on by magnets in a pocket under the base.

I am a retired mechanical engineer and a former oboe and now bassoon player not very good in either.  When I raced sailboats they said that you often would buy a new piece of gear and your sense was the boat would go faster.  Even if it was only psychological it still helped.  I suspect making and using a new reed is the same.  The profiler definitely adds to the control and consistency.  I shaped my own oboe reeds to gain consistency and even bought a gouger.  Fortunately bassoon reeds are larger plus we have some wires to adjust the opening of the tip.  Oboe shapers are a mistique on their own in the oboe world.  But I've been using a Fox #2 flat shaper since there is less profiling required on shaped cane.  Profiled and not shaped cane is often more expensive than shaped and profiled.

I've written to Paul on a few occasions and he really is doing this because he thinks he has a better product for bassoon reedmakers.  He said he gets quotes from over 25 suppliers for some parts to make sure he gets the lowest price.  Also he is marketing it directly saving a dealers necessary markup.

Currently he is assembling them himself.  I had to wait 7 weeks for delivery.  If this becomes as popular as I think it will, Paul's main problem will be how to make them fast enough.

I'm working on making a video of the profiler which I'll send to Paul in hopes of convincing those who are skeptical that it really is a good product.  The only feature it is missing that was on the one which I used at bassoon camp is a scoring device for the center of the reed and the collars.  There is a centerline on the cylinder which can be used to mark the center.  Oh and by the way of course there are a adjustable stops at both the tip and collar end so that one can profile as close to the collar as one wants.

With a product in my hand I can only say that Paul really has been able to make a better product at a much cheaper price.  As a fellow engineer I believe that Paul had done it because he can and wants to serve those of us who benefit from it.   Yes his website could be improved, but he's an engineer not a web designer or marketeer.  To me this is very refreshing in today's hyped world.

Just to be clear I bought this at the standard price and Paul is not paying me to write this.  It is seldom that I have seen such a well designed product beat its competition by such a margin.

Sincerely,
    Tim Barnum

My MD profiler has no pocket for the allen wrenches. The serial number of my machine is 16...it has anything to do with that?
Great machine by the way, I recieved it a few months ago and I'm still experimenting with it on a daily basis.

Thank you.

Federico Sardi
Principal bassoon - Orquesta Filarmónica de Montevideo
Bassoonist - Orquesta Sinfónica del SODRE
Studying with Prof. Ole K. Dahl

Hi.
I have question about this profiler. Is it possible to profile not shaped cane?

bassoonkd,

Yes, you can profile gouged only cane or gouged and shaped.

Federico,

The pocket for the allen wrenches is a recent improvement that I have made.  After several requests to include allen wrenches I decided I would also include a place to store them.

Thanks,
Paul
MD Reed Products

One more question, how can I re-calibrate the machine?
In my profiler the right wheel has to be set to -7.5 / -8 (below 1) in order to get a "real 1" and it can be pushed to +3 (as in the picture) without being forced at all (that will be the "real 8" I guess)
Also the left wheel is pretty hard to move, can you recommend any special product to make it spin more freely?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226907_2076159546196_1311190497_2481983_7672405_n.jpg

I have some other questions about the machine, but I will send them to you via email.

Thank you,

Federico Sardi

Just in case the last picture wasn't clear enough:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/230871_2076173986557_1311190497_2481989_4337906_n.jpg

Federico Sardi

Federico,

I'm sorry but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "real 1" or "real 8" but please be aware that the distance you adjust at the ramp translates to half that distance at the blade.  One click moves the ramp up or down .06mm and one number moves it .11mm, but the change you will see when you measure the cane is .03mm or .06mm. In other words, if you measure a piece of cane that you just profiled and you decide that you want to remove .03mm more than you did before, you would need to turn the knob(s) to the right by one click, which moves the ramp down .06mm. 

If the right knob turns without clicking, underneath the machine you will find two slotted screws.  Using a small flat blade screw driver, gently turn the screw under the right knob to the right a little bit at a time, stopping between each turn to see if the knob is clicking again.  Be careful not to turn it too far as this will prevent the knob from turning at all. 

Also, if the left knob is a little difficult to move, use the same procedure as above but turn the screw to the left (loosening it).

Best Regards,
Paul

Recently purchased an MD Reeds Profiler and have been exceedingly happy with it. Great machine, great price - very adjustable and very high quality.  I've received no incentives for posting this comment.

Thats good to hear. I've just put in an order for one that I will receive in July sometime. I'm looking forward to seeing it and will report to the site about it.