Topic: Seat Straps

Is anyone familiar with Forrests bassoon seat strap with cup? I've tried the BG seat strap with cup and it's fantastic, but the lowest price I can find for it is WWBW for 59 dollars. My instructor Fernando Traba has a absolutely fantastic cup seat strap that was made by a one man operation, but he mentioned that the man had unfortunately passed away. Does anyone know if there are any seat straps that work well and aren't as expensive as the BG?

Re: Seat Straps

Try Justin Miller (www.millerdoublereed.com), as I think he has a well-made Chinese knock-off for a lot less than the BG.

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

Do you happen to know where on the site that's located, as I cannot seem to find it after navigating through every link.

Joshua -

Miller Marketing sells a really nice black leather seat strap that works every bit as well as the BG for about $20-25 less. I have one of these and really like it. I think it's made by Koelbl, who also makes the nice "spin harness" that so many bassoonists have adopted for use. I don't think the cheaper strap is listed at the Miller website, so it's probably best just to email them and ask: Miller445@aol.com

Good luck, Thom

I also decided to replace my strap, and made one for a total of $22.00 dollars.  I explained how in the Cheap Alternatives thread.

Last edited by Dean (2011-07-16 15:48:31)

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

Joshua, We have a bassoon seat strap with an adjustable sized cup (not a hook) for sale on our website for $19.00. <www.weaitmusic.com>

We enjoyed meeting you in Tempe. Good luck, Christopher Weait

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com