Topic: Bassoon floor pegs.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

When playing with a seat strap, I get nasty stress in my left hand, and I've found that I'm -mostly- comfortable playing with a neck strap, so that's what I usually stick with, despite the time that sometimes that's a little agonizing on my shoulders.

Last year, one of the folk over in the classifieds was selling bassoon floor pegs, and I went ahead and purchased the one he was selling, figuring I'd give that a try to see how it felt ergonomically.  I figured, eh, it's used, if I don't like it, I can always sell it and I shouldn't lose too much cash, how much can it hurt, ooh, a new gadget, yay.

Fast forward a year and a bit of change.. and I'm only now getting around to trying to figure out how I'd position myself to play with such a contrivance.  Can anyone give any advice on properly situating the bassoon using a floor peg, and calibrating the way it should be aligned? 

Inquiring minds want to know! smile

Re: Bassoon floor pegs.

Hi Christopher:

Does this help?  http://www.doublereed.org/IDRSBBS/viewtopic.php?id=30

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Instrument support issues contnue to plage the bassoon community. One of the advantages of a floor peg is that the instrument can be held in a more vertical position -- thus removing weight and stress from the left hand. However, a more vertical position may require a different bocal, such as a flatter "British bend," to achieve comfort. It's a trial-and-error- proposition, just as violinists do when finding a proper combination of chin and shoulder rests.

Neck straps should not irritate the neck or cause neck muscles to become excessively tight. I suggest a broad strap that rests upon the large shoulder muscles (trapezius) and spreads the weight over a larger area. It's important that one dies not fight the strap; this only causes greater muscle tension.

Dr. Bill Dawson, bassoonist and teacher
IDRS medical consultant
Past President, Performing Arts Medicine Assoc.
Author of "Fit as a Fiddle: The Musician's Guide to Playing Healthy"

I have had success with a Winc leg hook. Also, I know one person who is very happy with the Vonk leg hook...

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

More info on the Vonk  http://www.fagot.nl/product_info.php?cPath=82&products_id=224

Great pic Christopher.  Thanks for that.

Last edited by Kent Moore (2011-08-19 11:16:30)

Dr. Kent Moore

And another solution http://www.marsdenbassoonreeds.com/seatstrap.html

Dr. Kent Moore

We produce the “No-Hands” Bassoon Side Strap. When used in conjunction with a regular seat strap, the “No-Hands” Side Strap takes the weight of the bassoon off the left hand to help reduce pain and tension. Contact our website at <www.weaitmusic.com> and look for the section "Fabric Creations" to find the Side Strap. It costs $7.00.

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

Just wanted to vote for the Winc leghook.  My left hand was going completely numb before I switched to the leghook, now I have no numbness or pain. 

Nancy

"There are 2 means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Checked out your "no-hands" side strap on your website, Chris, and really liked the shapely model in the chair!