Topic: Squeaky Laubin

Hello,

I have had some issues with my '98 Laubin, it seems to squeak badly in the mid range, particulary G-Ab- and A.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Thank you!

Re: Squeaky Laubin

contact Paul Laubin where they are manufactured. Tel 1-914-737-3778 or write alaubinoboe@verizon.net.  Their instruments are unusually reliable and they are a very reputable firm.   Lois Barton

Paul's email has changed.  It is now "A. Laubin, Inc." alaubin (at) alaubin.com

It's been to Laubin.  They've okayed it.  It's probably a quirk of the instrument or just me.  I am considering selling it now.

What kind of "squeak" are you talking about?  Mechanical noise, a chirp in the attack of the pitch, or octaves that won't hold?

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

You know, I think it's been my staples!  I've been using F Loree golds and each one squeaks on certain pitches.  I've switched to MCW Sierras now and what a huge difference!  Open all up and down the register and huge sound!  I never see oboists address staples and maybe that's something we should give more thought to!  Thanks all for your suggestions!

One thing I will mention is that I believe Laubins are much tighter in the scale than say Marigaux, my old oboe.  This makes choosing an appropriate staple all the more crucial, wouldn't you agree?

I'm glad to hear that you found a solution.  I play Laubin also, and I agree that staples are important.

Andrew Nogal
oboe/English horn

I always had issues with my staples..I wish there was a way to avoid them but there isn't. So we have to be more careful with them!
pokies