Topic: Gustavo Nunez reeds?

While browsing through YouTube I came across a short video of Gustavo Nunez demonstrating his reed-making. He uses 4 wires, and no wrapping, instead of the usual 3 wires and a string wrapping. I'm curious if there are any current, or former, students or colleagues of his who shed some light on his reed-making theories and practices. Thanks in advance, Charles McCracken

Re: Gustavo Nunez reeds?

Gustavo came to Uruguay a few weeks ago and he showed us how he makes reeds. There's not much theory involved in the process. He uses four wires just because he doesn't use any kind of wrapping and also for the reed to fit better on the bocal avoiding any kind of up and down movement while playing. He forms the tube with all wires on and puts the reed on the (Rieger) mandrel far beyond the mark (up to 8 mm), then he lets the reed rest for 24 hours on a mandrel tip to finally (after taking the reed out from the mandrel tip) store the reed on a box for an undefined amount of time. Pretty simple...

I took a few videos of him while making reeds, I'll add some more details after watching them again.

Federico Sardi
Principal bassoon - Orquesta Filarmónica de Montevideo
Bassoonist - Orquesta Sinfónica del SODRE
Studying with Prof. Ole K. Dahl

I had a student of mine that attended Domaine Forget, and he told me that Gustavo shapes his reeds by hand. Based on what I know I believe his reed making has evolved since first hearing him in Rotterdam in 1995. He has definitely been influenced by the Dutch "school" in the last few years.

I had students who attended Domaine Forget in recent years who have told me that Gustavo Nunez uses standard Danzi GSP cane (not the wide shape) and a Rieger tip profiler. Oh, and a lot of air support! Best wishes --Stéphane

Thanks to all for your responses. Federico, you were helpful, and I would be interested in more details if you don't mind. Thanks, CM

dear,

i so insterested about his reeds. Is there anyway to get a source to buy his reeds in other reedmaking store. Anyone could let me know? So curiosity about his reeds without thread wrapping and with 4 wires. Gustavo Nunez is the principal bassoonist in Haitink & Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. The most famous orchestra in the world.