Topic: Strap Hooks

When I stand up to play, I use a BG sling (I think they call it just a shoulder strap). I'm working on making a new one for myself with a somewhat wider strap, and have managed to find everything I need except the proper hook. My sling, which I've had for a number of years, has a small hook that hangs on one of the metal split rings that attaches the parts of the strap. I think that newer slings have hooks (or maybe even clips?) that slide on the strap. In any case, here's my hook:

http://davewells.us/misc/hook.jpg

The features of this that I really like are the size, the black vinyl coating, and (most importantly), the 90-degree twist between the hook and the eye. I've searched all over for a source for these hooks, but to no avail. Any ideas of who might carry such a thing?

Re: Strap Hooks

Usually, I am really good at finding things.  In this case, I have almost drawn a blank.  I say almost, because I did find a website where you can buy these from some Chinese manufacturers if you buy 100 or more. I'd imagine this was not the  solution you were looking for.

While you may consider this hook to be ideal, you should note that there are other solutions that can work just as well, if you are willing to try them.  Many hardware stores carry different types of hooks and snap hooks, and if you are looking specifically for something that is 'non-scratch', many better outdoor boutiques have nylon snap hooks and attachments as well.  There is always something else that can do the job, you just have to try it.

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

If you like the non-scratch element, you can always do the plastic gooping or heat shrinking yourself to something else you find in a hardware store.

My latest neckstrap has gold hardware. lol - I don't mind a scratched balance hanger anyway.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Oh, believe me, I've explored a huge number of options using various combinations of materials, connection styles, hardware types, etc. My desk is littered with all manner of rings, snaps, hooks, swivels, and clips, along with various styles of strap adjusters and other webbing hardware. I think I've finally come up with something I like. When I get some time in the next couple of days to complete my assembly, I'll blog about it (and post here, as well).

But, the coating on the hook is really a minor concern. I think I'll accomplish that with plasti-dip. I wasn't ever particularly concerned with a hook scratching my balance hanger. Originally I was attaching the hook to a black powder-coated ring, and I wanted to avoid scratching the finish off that. But, I've moved on to another design entirely. I also sort of want a black hook to just match the rest of the strap.

The kicker has been finding something with a 90-degree twist between the side that attaches to the strap and the side that attaches to the bassoon. Without that, my bassoon doesn't hang properly and playing it is uncomfortable. I know this could be accomplished by adding another link between the hook and what it's attached to, but that's too clunky for my tastes. I've checked every hardware store in town plus plenty of online hardware stores and even places that specialize in materials for lanyards, straps, and the like. I couldn't find any hooks with the twist, regardless of size. I also checked things with swivels in the middle, but these were all either too big to fit through the balance hanger or too small/poorly made for me to trust them supporting my bassoon. I've ended up just bending a standard s-hook to the shape I need. I was a little concerned about this weakening the hook, but I've tested it to my satisfaction.

In any case, I'll show you guys the finished product soon.

It isn't difficult to impart a 90* twist to an S Hook....just grab the two loops with some substantial pliars and twist.  I just use an S Hook and crimp one side closed and apply the 90* twist.  S Hooks can be found in any hardware store..only problem might be finding the correct size to fit in the hole in the boot join cap.  I prefer to use the largest S Hook I can find that fits that hole.

BassoonII wrote:

It isn't difficult to impart a 90* twist to an S Hook....just grab the two loops with some substantial pliars and twist.  I just use an S Hook and crimp one side closed and apply the 90* twist.  S Hooks can be found in any hardware store..only problem might be finding the correct size to fit in the hole in the boot join cap.  I prefer to use the largest S Hook I can find that fits that hole.

That's what I just said... :-)

davewells wrote:

I've ended up just bending a standard s-hook to the shape I need. I was a little concerned about this weakening the hook, but I've tested it to my satisfaction.

Oh...yeah...that too LOL

You know, honestly they are probably S hooks that someone bent and bent. You can buy S hooks that are not symmetrical, and that's probably what those are. Now that I think of it...

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Well, my twisted and Plasti-Dip-coated s-hook is working just fine. I've finished the strap it was for, too:

http://davidawells.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/strap-with-bassoon-300x199.jpg

I've posted more details about the construction on my blog: http://davidawells.com/2011/12/hot-rod-bassoon-strap/