Topic: Profiler Maintenance

So, I was given a hand-me-down profiler that hasn't seen use in quite a while, and I'm wondering if basic lubrication and pre-prep is something that, as a layperson, I can get away with doing on my own, or if it really needs to be seen by a machinist to bring up to par.

Any suggestions would be great!  the blade is pretty well sharp.. not freshly honed, but it doesn't have a lot of cane mileage under it.  It's mostly the rail that the blade assembly slides along, as well as the roller that moves over the "form" that's at issue.  before I schlep it all the way to Forrest's from Santa Cruz, I figured it'd bear asking here.

--B

Re: Profiler Maintenance

Thanks much, rsw!  Everything checks out for tightness, but I'll get judicious with the 3-in-1 oil and see how things turn out.  I think the bearing is a bit seized, but I can take that in to a tooling person in town and see about getting it squared.  The blade hasn't a speck of rust on it, but I'll remember about oiling after use, that's a good point that I hadn't thought of.

Will let you know how it turns out, thank you for the advice!

--B