Topic: reaching the RH keys on EH

I am a fairly petite female oboe player (height 5 ft. 3 in.) who has tried unsuccessfully to play EH.  My right arm is not long enough to reach the keys at the bottom of the instrument.  I get crippling pain in my wrist when I try to bend my wrist and fingers to reach the keys.  I tried supports such as the neck strap, floor peg and chair peg, but they did not help  Is there an EH that is proportioned for smaller hands, or is there an EH with larger keys?  I can get a nice sound and would love to play EH, but am I out of luck?

Re: reaching the RH keys on EH

Laura, I don't play English Horn, so I can't help you with direct experience.

What does your teacher say about this?

Re: reaching the RH keys on EH

I once played next to an English horn player who had a repair man lower the thumb rest so that it was almost under the middle finger hole.  As I recall, they had spent a lot of time building a splint from the original thumb rest down before adding holes and moving the rest.  I think after doing that, they worked on the angle of the pinky keys.   I believe there are now ajustable thumb rests that one can purchase so as not to need to drill more holes on the instrument.  You could experiment to se if having the thumb lower on the back would take some of the pressure off of your wrist.