Topic: Reed Case Recommendations?

Hi everyone!

I desperately need a new reed case. I love my old one, but it has been smashed due to a chair moving incident in a rehearsal. (Amazingly, the reeds were fine!) It was a beautiful wooden one, and I have no idea from whom I purchased it. I have had this reed case for about 12 years, and I cannot find another one like it.

Any personal preference in regard to ribbon style verses the peg style?

Also, why is it that the peg style wooden cases now have the reed tips facing the direction in which the tip can easily get crushed? This is a bit disconcerting to me.

Thanks in advance!

Melinda

Re: Reed Case Recommendations?

Hi Melinda,

My favorite reed case is a Weisman case for 9 reeds. It is fashioned from very attractive wood and has a set of small magnets that keep it securely closed. The case holds the reeds in place with a firm foam rubber strip that does a very good job in keeping the reeds secure. It is made to hold the reeds in alternating direction so the tips don't get squished against each other. In short...looks good; works good. I tink Forrest's carries them.

Gene Carter, Owner
Linden Reeds

I know a bunch of people with that case and they like it.

I have the Bonazza mega humongous case.  Obviously it's not really called that, but it holds 24 reeds, so it qualifies.  It's pricey, at about $80.  Leather outside, closes with snaps and has the typical ribbon style holder.  The reeds as I make them are not terribly stable in the case when it's open (they'd fall out immediately) but they don't move around when the case is closed.  It's not a case for everyone, but I like it.  Forrests sells it as well as a few other places.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Melinda,

I waiver between preferring my Wiseman (9-reed)rubber ribbon or Bonazza (10-reed) mandrel peg cases. My Wiseman case is older than Gene's, as it uses a swivel hinge-like hook to keep it closed. I think type is good, just a matter of what you are comfortable with...

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

I love my J.Winter 6 Reeds (peg type).  It takes into consideration the Turks' head, it closes well and also is resistant.  I dropped water on it about ten times.  It didn't damage.  Its leather outside and Nobuk inside.  And it is pretty affordable.  WWBW carries them.
Mike