Topic: Bassoon Reed Dial Indicator

Any suggestions as to a first rate Dial Indicator for reed making?

Robert Stein
UCLA
Los Angeles, CA

Re: Bassoon Reed Dial Indicator

Robert,

I've had very good luck with the RDG dial indicator (analog). I think Udo Henge (Reeds'n'Stuff) also makes one...

David Bell
Alexandria, VA

David Bell
Alexandria, VA
amateur bassoon and contra bassoon

Thanks David. I had a Christlieb which I didn't like at all.  I went to RDG yesterday and looked at the RDG Mitutoyo dial indicators which I liked but found it to small for my taste.  However, they had a Reeds & Stuff dial indicator which I bought and it is terrific.

Robert Stein
UCLA
Los Angeles

Robert Stein
UCLA
Los Angeles, CA

I have a dial indicator made by Ken Potsic.  I've had it for years, and I think it's absolutely fabulous!  It's very sturdy and accurate.  I hope he's still making them!

Hello bassoonists.

I'm an amateur bassoonist and also an amateur machinist, and I made myself a dial indicator out of scrap metal and a dial I got for cheap (see attached).  It works great!

I'm thinking of making some more of these and selling them, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a market for them.  Do you or your friends/students/colleagues want to buy dial indicators but find the price prohibitive?  What price would you/they be willing to pay?

Alternatively, do you run a double reed supply shop, and would you be interested in purchasing several less expensive dial indicators to resell to your customers?

Post's attachments

2009_04_DialIndicator_sm.jpg 211.58 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.