Topic: Bassoon Stand

My K&M Bassoon Stand recently went kaput. I've stripped the screw at the bottom (or something like that) and the legs will no longer lock into position. I was going to buy a new one when I saw an advertisement for the Herclules Bassoon Stand. It looks almost identical and sells for much less. Anyone ever use one before? Are they as good as the K&G?

I use mine a lot, at home and work (orchestras), so I don't mind spending a lot of money on a well-built, long-lasting, and sturdy product. However, it does need to be portable. I'd love to read what you all think about other bassoon stands on the market, too. Thanks for your help.

"It's not my job to give you the pulse! It's your job to figure it out!"
-An Allegedly Professional Conductor

Re: Bassoon Stand

I don't have direct experience with it, but one of my students has one and loves it.  I bought the one for French Horn for my daughter and it is working very well.  I think they are well built and heavy.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Been using one for quite a while. Love mine. Not the lightest thing in the world (compared to the Fox, for instance) but it folds up well, is very stable, and built pretty darn tough.

In general I'm a fan of all the Hercules stands except for the yellow/black color scheme... I have their music stand as well.

What's also handy is that the base legs on the larger stands all have holes tapped in them for flute/clarinet/oboe pegs, if you're a doubler at all.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

If you are junking your K&M stand, I need the screw that secures the top slanted holder in place.  I'll be glad to pay for shipping on the screw if you decide you don't need it.  Have had a bit of trouble getting a replacement from K&M.

I like my Hercules. Love that it folds up and assembles quickly. Rather large footprint though. If I am staying put in the location for any length of time (couple of days+), prefer to leave my Blayman on site. Portability issues with the Blayman (size AND weight), but very sturdy, and small footprint. Used to have a Jack Spratt (I still remember it cost $6.95 when I bought it)--went through 2 thumb screws, and had a music stand come tumbling from the horn section riser directly in back of me once. It hit my bsn and the stand/instrument started tipping. I was amazed how FAST my arm shot out to catch such a SLOW moving instrument. One of those "life passes before your eyes" moments.

NancyDuncan wrote:

If you are junking your K&M stand, I need the screw that secures the top slanted holder in place.  I'll be glad to pay for shipping on the screw if you decide you don't need it.  Have had a bit of trouble getting a replacement from K&M.

Nancy, bring the screw to one of the large surface hardware/renovation stores.  I'll bet you dollars to donuts that if they do not have exactly what you need, they will have something close enough to it to be usable, and if they don't have that, they will definitely give you the size and TPI (threads per inch) that you need to order some.  The best part is that it should cost less than a dollar!

Last edited by Dean (2012-02-16 22:07:11)

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

I have the Hercules stand. It is strong and sturdy. If you're a doubler, you can use it for your bass clarinet.

I wonder if you could repair the old stand.

Thanks, Dean, for your thoughts.  I did just that a few months ago at a wonderful hardware store in Bellingham, WA, where you can get ANYTHING.  I managed to get fixed up with a wing nut arrangement, but the large head on the original K&M stand would be better yet.  With the wing nut, I have to hold my finger onto the other side while screwing the thing tight.

Nancy, are you talking about this stand?

http://products.k-m.de/us/product?xd41d … p;info=863

Yep, sorta.  Mine must be the slightly older model, with round heads on the screws instead of those oval shaped heads you see on this one.  The top one is the one I'm missing.

And mine's all stainless steel, not black.  (Except for those big black screw heads!)

Is it the thread on the screw that has stripped or the piece it screws into? (It's usually the the latter unfortunately) If the former you should be able to get a replacement - it is a standard 8mm metric one. Even if you cannot get a genuine K&M one this should be easily available. If the hole has stripped that's more tricky but not impossible - it should be easy enough to get it tapped for a slightly larger screw. Maybe your repair guy might do this or an engineering workshop might help. Would be cheaper than buying a new stand.

I've seen a Hercules bass clarinet stand & thought it was not quite as robust looking as the K&M but still pretty good.

Last edited by Ian White (2012-02-17 14:23:30)

OK, the bolt screws into a nut which is held in a housing.  Usually, (but now always) it is possible to knock the nut out of the housing and replace it with an identical one.  Find a replacement nut.  Take the new nut and press it as far into the housing as you can, then put it in a vise and close the vise, which will properly seating the nut in its housing.  Once this is done, it can't move, allowing you to tighten the stand with one hand.  If you don't have a vise, a pair of pliers or vise-grips can often do the trick.  If the nut is moulded into the housing, all bets are off.  It can still be done using a drill and epoxy, it's not major surgery, but it is a pain in the butt.

Last edited by Dean (2012-02-17 19:04:47)

O.K. thanks Dean.  I'll take your last post under advisement to replace.  My original problem was that the top bolt and nut never came with the stand.  Because the gizmo that holds the top of the bassoon was so stable and tight and never moved for a year, I didn't realize there was a missing  bolt.  So, a year later, I'm trying to explain to the very nice K&M rep lady here in the States and we couldn't quite connect on what I needed.  She sent something which was not right, so I didn't feel like hasseling her any longer, and as I said before, went to the hardware store and got something which does fine, but it'd be nice to have the real McCoy.  (Sorry for hijacking your thread, Tyler)

Thanks everyone for your replies! After reading your suggestions I tried switching the top and bottom screws. To my surprise it worked. The stand works great. I'm going to write K&M and ask if they'll sell me a replacement screw. I figure I should probably have a spare on hand for when the other screw eventually strips.

"It's not my job to give you the pulse! It's your job to figure it out!"
-An Allegedly Professional Conductor

Not directly connected with stripped threads.
Sometimes after a lot of use a groove is worn in the tip of the screw & it doesn't lock effectively. Just file the tip flat again - problem solved!
A friend once took her cello to her repairer with a slipping floor spike - his answer was to fit a new pin assembley. I saved her a lot of money with 1 minute of filing!