Topic: Wrapping the tube: do you seal tube before wrapping with thread?

I have for YEARS painted the tube (from wire #2 to base) with nail polish (allowing it to dry) before wrapping the turbin (with FF thread), then applied nail polish to the thread (allowing it to dry), and then a final coat after that. I have seen L Hugh Cooper indicate in multiple articles that he recommends against this initial coat, making it clear that no good reed will ever be made from such a blank. I am not sure how I missed this point with him when I studied under him at U of M, but any way, I always have done this initial coat. What do others think of this issue??

Re: Wrapping the tube: do you seal tube before wrapping with thread?

I wrap with Hot Glue...have several different colors and have used it for many years...waterproof, stable, holds everything together well.

Frank Watson
Greenville (SC) Symphony Orchestra
Spartanburg Philharmonic Orchestra
Converse College Petrie School of Music

Never had to. If there's a leak it's usually due to a bad ream or something in the blade is separated.

I use cotton thread on the dry cane, then apply one solid layer of Duco cement. The Duco soaks well into the cotton thread (better than it absorbs into nylon, IMO) and forms a totally solid seal.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I coat with Duco Cement... stays a bit more flexible than nail polish (which I use over the wrapping).
-Marc

I never have had a reason to coat the tube first.  I use cotton thread coated with polyurethane, as I have found that it constricts vibration less than Duco.  If I crow a wrapped and uncoated reed and then add the polyurethane the pitches in the crow change very little.  Results with nail polish are similar.  However, when I do the same and then coat with Duco rather than polyurethane, the crow pitches rise appreciably.

Happy Bassooning!

What exactly do you use for the polyurethane? Does it come in a nice little bottle like glue? Any recommendations? Always looking to try something a little different to experiment.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I use the small cans of Minwax clear gloss, but other brands (Red Devil, etc.) work.  Once I couldn't find the super cheap (50 cent) bottles of nail polish any more I switched.  It can be applied with a small paintbrush or even a Q-tip.  Depending on what kind is used it can turn the binding a bit "brownish," which makes light colored thread look a bit dirty, so now I stick with "concert black" thread!

Happy Bassooning!

I recently stopped coating the tube before wrapping. I can't say I noticed any improvement in the reeds, but they certainly haven't gotten any worse, and I save a tiny bit of time and materials.

Michael Macaulay
2nd Bassoon, Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony