Topic: Question posed after submitting

Please explain the reason for having to answer the riddle question after posting a response.

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

Re: Question posed after submitting

It is a measure to stop spambots.  A machine cannot answer a silly question.  A human can.

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

I have found that Prof. Weait, in particular, has quite the propensity for answering silly questions -- I have certainly asked him my fair share over the years -- so, I am surprised that the IDRS' version should cause him to raise one of his ample eyebrows!

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com

Thank you Dean. As an apparent, but up till now un-self-recognized answerer of silly questions (Thank you Jonathan Marzluf!), I'll pretend to pose another query, What is a Spambot?

Christopher Weait,
www.weaitmusic.com

smile  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spambot

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Amazing! A question about technology answered with a link to an online answer. Thank you Dr. Moore.

Christopher Weait,
www.weaitmusic.com

One of the anti-spambot questions is freaking me out though - "How many reeds does a bassoon have?" As far as I'm concerned it has one double reed, which doesn't mean it has two reeds, which is however the correct answer (hope no spambots are watching). Maybe I've been doing something wrong all these years with just one reed...  hmm    tongue

The first time I saw that question, I actually answered, "the last time I checked, there were two."  As I hit enter, I remembered two things; the first is that anti-spam software does not have anything remotely resembling a sense of humour, and the second being that there was no way in God's green earth that the answer was going to be accepted.  As penance, I had to answer eight more questions before I could post.

Last edited by Dean (2012-03-11 12:09:05)

Dean,

Well, from one damn fool stupid enough to play the oboe to another damn fool stupid enough to play the bassoon, gouge his own cane & shape & tie same & then scrape the illegitimate offspring in order to get it to play, I always thought it was one reed riven, but then of course I could be wrong. As an aside, having plowed through Laila Storch's wonderful tome on the Great Tabuteau, she writes that he was fond of calling all his students "stupide"…even his stellar protege, John Mack.

Hopefully we two damn fools can get together one day to talk over a flagon or two of Molson's Ale.

Best,

john

Best,

john

John, If you are going to the IDRS conference this year, I will be more than happy to share a cold one with you.  It would be even better if we could only find someone else who is even more of a damn fool than either of us to pay for them!

You're both damn fools if you're drinking Molson.

HA!

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Seems like the writers have drifted off topic!

Christopher Weait,
www.weaitmusic.com

Well, we answered the question, so it's Tangent Time!

:-)

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Actually, I don't drink, but I have been known to enjoy any reasonable beer, especially one that has been bought with someone else's money.  As for choice, We have many good microbreweries here, and Molson has come out with a few premium beers to try to recapture that market.  And don't forget Trent, I do live in Canada, so we have real beer here! 

Now I don't know if it's off topic or on topic, but it's a good topic, and so even if it's off topic, I will have to answer the spambot question when I post, so I will be back on topic. 

I think.

Hey!! I did not have to answer a question.  Either the spambot trusts me, or it has had a few Molsons too many!