Topic: Study Material for an Advanced Adult Beginner on Oboe?

I have been approached by an adult beginner for lessons.  He is an accomplished French horn player who wants to start the oboe.

What method book(s) would you recommend for teaching him?  Gerkeler?  Rubank?  Barret?  Any recommendation will be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Wai Kit Leung

Last edited by wkleung (2012-10-09 09:58:51)

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian

Re: Study Material for an Advanced Adult Beginner on Oboe?

I recommend Mike Curtis's New Millenium Bassoon Method published by Mss Publications. Excellent broad range of material. crw

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

ChrisW wrote:

I recommend Mike Curtis's New Millenium Bassoon Method published by Mss Publications. Excellent broad range of material. crw

Interesting choice for an oboist.  I would have gone with Weissenborn. ;-)

We really should encourage a tagging system so the subject lines always say "oboe" or "bassoon" or "general" for some of these more general forums, as I've made similar suggestions in the past on the wrong instrument.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Sorry I should have put "oboe" in the subject line.  Cannot add that now.

oboe (French, Viennese, baroque), bassoon (German, French, baroque), shawm, dulcian

I apologize for not reading the first sentence clearly! crw

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

You've certainly solved the problem by now, but here's my 0.02.  As a flute player learning oboe, I am working with my teacher using Gekeler and am also using Rubank on my own as a supplement.  Rubank moves more slowly so thus offers supplemental exercises to reinforce.  Barrett from the start may not be a good choice.

Oboe is so different!  Going from woodwind to woodwind is challenging but there is more commonality than brass to woodwind.  I have the utmost respect for your French hornist.  How is the student's progress so far?

Oy vey!  Just look at all of those keys!

The horn player didn't correspond to me after I replied to his initial email.  Thanks for your input though!