Topic: Reeds when travelling

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new at making reeds and I was wondering what people do with their reeds to keep them in good shape?

In particular flying to a humid climate.

Thanks,
Tim

Re: Reeds when travelling

I don't personally do anything in particular. You'll probably find that after first soaking the reeds in your new location the tip openings are way off from where you want them, so come with pliers handy.

One colleague suggested to me once that you should soak your reeds as soon as you arrive, but don't play them, just soak them up then put them in your reed case. Something about the soak/dry process that settles the reeds into the new climate better. I tried it once and it didn't make much of a difference for me, but it might be helpful for others.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

The only solution that works for me is to carry lots of reeds, including a few that aren't quite finished. I travel almost monthly from western Washington (temperate, right amount of humidity) to central Washington (hot and dry). I tried Rico's Reed Vitalizer, but ended up growing mold. I found that if I have nine decent reeds with me, at least one will work.

"It's not my job to give you the pulse! It's your job to figure it out!"
-An Allegedly Professional Conductor

Thanks for the tips guys!

Tim