Topic: bassoon reed cane source marking question

I always mark a diacritical mark  of  some sort between the first and second wires since I use various cane growers and it helps.
the diacritical mark is always difference for each cane grower.

I do this when I make reeds,blanks, or just marking profiled cane for reference.

Does anybody think that the marking done with an equalling needle file( one to four small filings)would effect in any way how a reed works?I only do this on one of the sides, not both.

I'm just thinking about it.
scott vigder

Re: bassoon reed cane source marking question

What I used to do (and still sometimes do when I'm doing something different with shape or cane or something) is scrape a tiny bit of bark, just the smooth surface, off the area between the first and second wire, then write a number, or indication of some sort in pencil, then protect the pencil mark with a bit of clear nail polish. The amount of cane removed from the area between the wires couldn't have made enough of a difference to be noticeable. I was literally just roughing the surface enough to take a pencil mark.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

what are you scraping the bark off with?what kind of tool works easily for such a small surface?

I just use my knife. You could probably use a bit of 400 grit sand paper wrapped around your pencil though, too. Just a really light scrape you're just removing the smooth very top most layer enough for it to take a pencil.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

i always use a 0 cut equalling needle file and it works, but it is very important to know alternatives.

I took lessons from someone that wrote a number on a tiny piece of paper and stuck it in the glue on the wrap.

i think that any consistent method for identifying a cane source that one puts on the reed itself is a viable help.that is why i posted this question.