Topic: Ritter Sinfonie Concertante --- Multiphonic?

Hello all,

I am currently working on August Ritter's Sinfonie Concertante for two bassoons and am faced with deciphering what multiphonic is necessary for the second cadenza in the first movement in the first bassoon part. The cadenza begins at bar 202 and in the second to last "measure" before the a tempo, the first bassoon has a written G2, as well a C#3 and a D2, both with X's through the note head.  At the bottom of the page it reads in German "Spaltklang: Großes F greifen, dazu cis un D" which doesn't translate to English well, but to my understanding means to play an F and add the D and C# keys, but in the staff it has a G written and not an F. The G gets better results with those keys added than the F, but the multiphonic doesn't sound much like what the recording does, which I listened to on Naxos (St. Martin's in the Fields). The second bassoon has a low C2 and in the recording you can hear an Ab, not sure what octave, but I am wondering if anyone has played this piece before and can give some insight into what the correct multiphonic is and if one can not accomplish the desired effect then how best to fake it.

Many thanks.

Re: Ritter Sinfonie Concertante --- Multiphonic?

I sent out an email about your question.  I received this response from David Sogg, Co-Principal bassoonist of the Pittsburgh Symphony. 

"""""First of all, this is the editor’s cadenza, so it is not gospel.  I did the piece 3 or 4 years ago, and I have in my notes that I played the multiphonic without the whisper key, with moderate pressure, and moved my lips up on the reed (closer to the wire).  Yes, the main note should be F, adding C-sharp and D keys.

By the way, the second bassoon cadenza in bar 133 of the first movement has to be changed a bit toward the end so that you modulate to a low E (to a minor, then E major???).  Otherwise, the next entrance doesn’t make sense.

Hi, Trevor.

David Sogg""""""

Last edited by delmar (2012-04-10 22:03:41)