Topic: Rieger Mandrel Tips

Does anyone know how to get a hold of the standard Rieger mandrel tips without the handle?  Thanks

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."  --Jimi Hendrix

Music Stand Shelves (reed cases, mandrels, & drying racks coming soon):
www.jimwesthoff.com/products

Re: Rieger Mandrel Tips

They can be purchased, but if you were to buy 6, you're spending about as much as the 6 pin drying board, and likewise with 12. These are only the kinds of tips that go on the drying board, which are different from the mandrel tips on the regular holding mandrel.

The mandrel type that comes in the handle you are used to is only a few bucks cheaper than the mandrel with handle is. It's not like it's going to retail for $5 each or something. I don't know any dealer in the USA that carries them, although any Rieger dealer in the USA could probably special order them for you. You won't save much money over buying the mandrels though. The part number, if you do go that route, is F5OH (F5 is the usual mandrel model number, "OH" stands for "ohne" meaning "without" - the handle I assume).

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Trent wrote:

These are only the kinds of tips that go on the drying board, which are different from the mandrel tips on the regular holding mandrel.

That's what I figured.  The holding mandrel tip is what I want.  The shape/taper is ideal.

Trent wrote:

You won't save much money over buying the mandrels though.

That's unfortunate.  I would like a set of 12, but I'm not willing to cough up ~$30 each for them.

So, that brings up my next question...  Does anybody else manufacturer mandrel tips with a similar shape/taper as Rieger?

I seem to recall these tools by Miller Marketing were very much like Rieger's.

http://www.millermarketingco.com/pro_tools/

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Thanks Kent and Trent.  Maybe I'll shoot Justin an email to see if he'll 'part out' his mandrel tips.

Cheers,
Jim

And about Miller's tools, the mandrel, reamer, drying pins, diamond reamer, are all the same taper. The Rieger stuff is not all the same taper. I think Miller's stuff is all modeled after the Rieger holding mandrel taper but I can't remember for sure.

I bought 6 contra pins from Justin and they work well. I already had a full set of Rieger equipment for regular bassoon reeds.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University

I'm pretty sure the Reiger is not a straight taper -- it looks parabolic to me.  Honestly, it's the Reiger reamer that I absolutely love.  The taper matches my Heckle bocal perfectly.  The mandrel tips I use to form are unfortunately not a taper that matches; so, I end up reaming every reed I make -- quite a bit!

kingracer wrote:

. . . so, I end up reaming every reed I make -- quite a bit!

Just out of curiosity, are there many people who don't ream? I thought reaming was standard for all bassoon reeds.

"It's not my job to give you the pulse! It's your job to figure it out!"
-An Allegedly Professional Conductor

I studied with a teacher once that was very strongly anti-ream. The ideas was that you formed the tube to fit your mandrel. If after wrapping the tube it didn't fit you needed to change your forming mandrel or shape.

Look more carefully at the end. It's not straight. It's straight for a while, but not all the way like a Fox forming mandrel is. The curve becomes parabolic 6-8mm from the end.

The Bar style mandrel (the typical forming type) is very dramatically not a straight taper (it's two distinct straight tapers followed by a parabola).

What I find especially good about the Rieger tools is that in general they are straighter (as in, they don't taper at all) for longer in the tube, then curve more sharply at the end. This seems to be the case slightly differently for the mandrel, the Bar (forming) mandrel and the reamer. The three do it differently, but the combination seems to work for me - although admitedly I don't use the regular mandrel for much other than putting the wires on. The forming mandrel is critical for me, and the reamer is as well.

I think the drying pins are similar to the Bar mandrel, but without the flattened end, obviously, and they only have a single taper before the curve, so they actually open up the 2nd - 3rd wire area slightly more than the forming mandrel does.

I certainly ream now, because I bevel so much (after the forming process). Flat ends of tube = more stability!

Last edited by Trent (2012-04-30 18:35:32)