Topic: labial frenectomy

Can anyone that has lived to survive a labial frenectomy please tell me whether it had any adverse effect on their embouchure (bassoon or oboe) ?

Re: labial frenectomy

I know this is late, but I do this operation with some frequency.  Depending on how extensive the technique (which, of course, depends on what exactly the problem is), the tongue will be variably sore for a limited period of time, but should have much improved mobility, especially forward and backward, than before.  So, not technically part of the embouchure, and may require some retraining, but in most cases an improvement in the function of the tongue for such other sophisticated processes such as speaking.  It is not terribly painful, and overall should be quite low risk.

kwolicki@triad.rr.com wrote:

I know this is late, but I do this operation with some frequency.  Depending on how extensive the technique (which, of course, depends on what exactly the problem is), the tongue will be variably sore for a limited period of time, but should have much improved mobility, especially forward and backward, than before.  So, not technically part of the embouchure, and may require some retraining, but in most cases an improvement in the function of the tongue for such other sophisticated processes such as speaking.  It is not terribly painful, and overall should be quite low risk.

Isn't there a difference between a labial and lingual frenectomy? It seems to me that the procedure on the lip would have a more pronounced effect on the embouchure than the one on the tongue.

Rich Gordley

I confess I misread the original.  Labial frenectomy is less frequently done, sometimes for diastasis (gap) between the upper central teeth.  I expect this would have even less effect on your embouchure once the brief healing phase has completed.  If you have a good reason to have this done, I wouldn't worry about the effect on your embouchure.