Topic: Bassoon Reed Styles

Greetings,
    I am in the process of planning two reed-making classes for my college students at UNLV.  The basic class will follow the method that I was taught by Chris Weait (with additional ideas from my other teachers Bill Davis and Matt Karr.)  I would also like to offer them an advanced class where they would study a variety of different reed styles.  I must admit that I have not spent a great deal of time learning various other methods, mainly because time is something I never seem to have and also because I have never really been able to get excited about it.  However, I want to do right by my students, so I intend to do some research over the next year.
    So, I would like to ask for direction from those who HAVE done serious study of different reed styles.  First of all, what are they?  I see references to a variety of names.  I am familiar with the styles in the Skinner and Eubanks books, as well as the Bar method.  I see other names floating around: Garfield, McGill, Sharrow, Herzberg, etc.  Is there a place where all the styles are listed, along with their main characteristics? (If not, won’t some enterprising grad student get on this right away?) 
    I would be grateful for any help that I can get.
Cheers!
Janis McKay
Associate Professor of Music
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas

Re: Bassoon Reed Styles

I don't know about a "listing" per se, but in the IDRS journals there are often descriptions of various people's reed styles. There was a great one about William Winstead's style and his "stabilizing" technique from a couple years ago. There was another from several years ago on Hugh Coopers "cubist" approach to reed making including his hand-profiling and finishing techniques. Carol Lowe's DMA dissertation also has a pretty good description of Norman Herzberg's theories. Barrick Stees's website has his method pretty clearly outlined. Gerald Corey, Beth Giacobassi, and Abe Weiss all have DVDs available. This is a cool project. Hope these suggestions helped and I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Derek

DJBassoon wrote:

Carol Lowe's DMA dissertation also has a pretty good description of Norman Herzberg's theories.

Do you know where I could get a copy of this?

"It's not my job to give you the pulse! It's your job to figure it out!"
-An Allegedly Professional Conductor

Dr. McKay; try going back through the years of IDRS Journals (as an IDRS member you should have access to the past issues on-line). There are quite a few individual articles about reed styles. Fascinating reading and good for many hours of reed-experimentation if you are into it............. CM

Hi Janis!

Several years ago I believe Ron Klimko gathered tons of information about various individuals' reed styles.  It is all contained in a single publication (the title escapes me).  It is long since out of print, but perhaps someone here knows of a copy (or at least the title) they could loan you.  I'm sure an academic library somewhere has a copy.

Scott Pool

"The Ornaments look pretty, but they're pulling down the branches of the tree." - Cake

The book Scott Pool mentioned is this one:

Apfelstadt, Marc and Ronald Klimko    Bassoon Performance Practice, Teaching Materials, Techniques and Methods    School of Music Publications, U of Idaho, Moscow, ID    1993

A 244 page compendium of data.

Christopher Weait,
Principal bassoon, Toronto Symphony (1968 - 1985)
IDRS Honorary Member; Emeritus professor Ohio State University
www.weaitmusic.com

Tyler Durden wrote:
DJBassoon wrote:

Carol Lowe's DMA dissertation also has a pretty good description of Norman Herzberg's theories.

Do you know where I could get a copy of this?

Tyler, just do a search for "Carol Lowe" + "Norman Herzberg" and you'll see it. You can download it as a .pdf. Matthew Morris's dissertation on Hugh Cooper is a great read too, also available online.

DJBassoon wrote:

Tyler, just do a search for "Carol Lowe" + "Norman Herzberg" and you'll see it. You can download it as a .pdf. Matthew Morris's dissertation on Hugh Cooper is a great read too, also available online.

I tried that previously, but came up dry. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the tip about Morris's dissertation. I downloaded it just a few minutes ago.

Tyler Durden wrote:
DJBassoon wrote:

I tried that previously, but came up dry. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the tip about Morris's dissertation. I downloaded it just a few minutes ago.

Try this link libres.uncg.edu/ir/uncg/f/umi-uncg-1629.pdf

If that doesn't work, email me privately and I'll send it to you as a .pdf.

DJBassoon wrote:

Try this link libres.uncg.edu/ir/uncg/f/umi-uncg-1629.pdf

Thanks! The linked worked perfectly.