Topic: Does this kind of bassoon case exist?

I'm wondering if there's a bassoon case out there that allows you to keep both the balance hanger and a right hand rest/crutch on the instrument when you put it in the case.

The newest Marcus Bonna cases and the Kolbl case modeled after the MB case let you keep the balance hanger on.
Some of the Fox cases and the Bam High-Tech cases let you keep the right hand rest on.

No case I can think of can accommodate both.

I'm happy with my BAM case, but I do have to take the balance hanger off to put my bassoon away, so I was curious. I'm not replacing it any time soon, but I couldn't think of any cases that would even fit both.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: Does this kind of bassoon case exist?

I don't think I've seen the new balance-hanger-friendly Bonna cases. But, would it be possible to rotate the boot joint in one of them such that the crutch would lie under the wing joint? This would necessitate replacing the boot's foam cradles with custom jobs, I'm sure.

Or, since I know you have a co-worker who likes to exercise his technical and mechanical genius, what about a folding or retractable balance hanger? Or perhaps some sort of quick-release mechanism that'd make installing/removing the balance hanger much faster?

David A. Wells
Lecturer – Bassoon and Music History
California State University, Sacramento
davidawells.com

Folding balance hanger? I don't know that I'd trust that, no matter who built it. A clip like pin in stead of the thumb screw would be faster I guess...

I don't know how you'd rotate a boot joint in any case that doesn't already have space for the crutch in such a way that would allow the crutch to stay on. My BAM case fits mine fine, but it's a rarer instrument layout (which is very good since I'd rather lock my crutch in place so the rotation is exactly the same all the time)

The balance hanger friendly cases have a little slot cut out of the divider between the boot joint and that accessory compartment. The balance hanger slides right in sticking in to that compartment. Pretty slick. Bonna and Kolbl are both doing it now.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University

You can usually keep both on in the Kim Walker type gig bags.

I just played around with my Püchner in its Bonna compact case. If I rotate the boot joint about 20°, the crutch fits between the bottom of the case and my wing joint. It makes it a little tough to close the case, but I think that well-made custom foam cradles could reposition the boot so that it wouldn't interfere. Don't know if this would work with the new balance-hanger cutouts though. Also - I don't know that your custom crutch would fit in the same space.

As for a hinged/folding balance hanger - there are certainly hinges and pivots out there meant to bear far more than the weight of a bassoon. Here's one that's rated to 200lbs and even kind of looks like a balance hanger: http://absupply.net/deltana-ph60-pivot- … -base.aspx

David A. Wells
Lecturer – Bassoon and Music History
California State University, Sacramento
davidawells.com

Like Ian above, I was thinking of a soft gig bag.  These are usually accommodating enough so that you can get a lot of extra stuff in them.  Wouldn't work if you really want a hard case, tho.

I have a Takeda gig bag that accommodates both the crutch and the balance hanger on my Takeda.  Whether or not yours fits may well be another subject of discussion.  Here is a link to a Koelbl cast that is astonishingly similar.  Keep in mind that I have a gentleman's model bassoon, even though I have yet to be called a gentleman.

http://www.koelblmusic.com/index.html?m … ;p=0|1|30|

Good luck in your search.

Edit: 
Hi, Trent!

Last edited by Dean (2012-09-24 13:50:48)

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!

That Kolbl case will be just like the Kim Walker ones as Nancy mentioned.

Seems like the soft cases are the only ones that will do it. Must have flexible interiors.

I'm pretty sure that Gentlemen's model case won't let you keep the balance hanger on, by the way. It'd stick out the top.

My case does allow the balance hanger to remain on the bassoon while it's all zipped up.  Trent, if you have a Takeda gig bag in stock, you might check to see if your bassoon's boot and balance hanger fit in.  It might be longer than mine.

Last edited by Dean (2012-09-24 15:04:49)

Bassoonist Ordinaire, all around nice guy.
If anyone needs a damn fool, I'm your man!