Topic: wide reed vs narrow reed

i have always wondered, what is the major advantage and disadvantage of using a wide reed or a narrow reed. I heard you get better stability using a narrow reed, but thats about it.

Re: wide reed vs narrow reed

Well, all other factors being equal, a wider reed will have a lower pitch, a narrower reed a higher pitch.  Also, all other factors being equal, a wider reed will have an easier response and fuller sound in the low register, whereas a narrower reed will have more stability of pitch up high.  Of course, pitch, stability, and response are all influenced by dozens of other factors, so one oboist's wide reed may be more stable up high than another oboist's narrow reed, or one oboist's narrow reed may respond better down low than another oboist's wide reed.

Cheers,
Drew

www.oboedrew.com

I have often wondered the same thing. Having experienced the advantages to each side of the argument (pretty much exactly as oboedrew said), I've found narrower reeds to feel more limited tonally and dynamically whereas on a wider reed I feel as though I have more freedom with my tone and volume although intonation takes a bit more work.

You can make a wider reed sharper by clipping the tip. Don't clip it too much, You will loose alot of vibration. The heart should be thicker for a stabile reed. That gives you better intonation and control. For response thin out the sides. Make sure the reed crows. Once it crows make the edges of the tip thinner for stability. For stability in the lows thin the edges near the plateau. for the high range to be stable take it off the edges at the top including the corners. A wide shape has more depth but some people have trouble making it stable enough.