Re: Trying to find the best oboe tube cane...

That depends, each type of cane will be different depending on the conditions from your locations. The density is preference. Some cane within the same brand may be a little different due to the individual crop but cane within the same brand generally has very similar chracteristics. I like Donati. It is a softer cane and is very stable. It doesn't last as long though, hence the softness.

Re: Trying to find the best oboe tube cane...

I noticed that harder cane lasts longer but is not as stable and it changes more, thus I like softer canes that stay stable and break in quicker. I have been using Donati and it is on the softer side of the spectrum. It breaks in within a couple days, over that period of time I do small adjustments. I am tying at 73 with RDG-1 and the finished reed is around 72mm. It is very stable. The closest thing to Donati is Loree. I would not go any softer than Donati or Loree cane is it won't last long. This means Inouledy and Gonzalez cane. Slightly harder is Pisoni and it is right in the middle. It lasts a while and stays faily stable. I liked the ones on the softer side. A little harder than Pisoni is Rigotti. Madir is too soft for me. Grimaud takes too long to break in and is wild throughout that whole process but if you can adjust enough during the breakin time the reed will last forever as in for me 2 months being hard enough. Alliaud was good but I only used it briefly.