Topic: F-sharp 5

The only fingering for super high F# I ever found was

x x o |x o o
a

That always played really sharp for me. I found a new fingering that responds better and is lower in pitch. It's not going to work for everyone because you NEED a left hand Eb trill key or the note won't speak.

o x eb | x x x
a c#      Bb

I can get this to speak reliably and it's only slightly sharp if you're not careful. You don't need to do the whole teeth on the reed thing either, although obviously a high note bocal helps as well as a stiffer reed.

Cheers!

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: F-sharp 5

Interesting, I´ll try that F#, I usually use
x x o / x o o F
   a       E
it lower the pitch for the F#, only vent the A key slightly for better response

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

Re: F-sharp 5

Hey Trent, I got that fingering to work adding the Ab key with the pinky. (each horn and set up can be different, I get a high F without the Ab key). My Eb trill is in my right hand, (I prefer it there), so I have to shift my hand a bit to cover the RH first tone hole. It also seems to work without the RH 1 2 3 and just Ab, Bb and the C# and Eb trill keys to raise the pitch. those alternates might not even work for anybody else. The Eb and C# trill are both useful in raising the pitch on very high fingerings.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.