Topic: Synthetic cork staples

Does anyone out there in oboe land know where to find a good inexpensive source for staples with synthetic cork? I am hoping to find a place that I can buy in bulk at a discount. I wonder if anyone knows where the tubes used for mass produced reeds come from? I am trying to weigh options for student  reeds without breaking the bank. Thanks -Aaron

Re: Synthetic cork staples

Try contacting David and Vendla Weber (www.webreeds.com).  They use synthetic cork staples for their student reeds as well.

Jonathan Marzluf
Owner, Marzluf Reeds
SoCal Freelancer/Educator
www.marzlufreeds.com

I happen to like some of the Nielson, get a wider shape as a narrow shape staple will be flat on the 2nd octave, if you get a brass staple that is too narrow you can force it on a #2 mandrel and move it side to side to widen it. Don't use to wide of a staple on a yamaha or Buffet oboe it will be sharp in the 2nd octave. There are lots of good staples but it would be better to tell you that rigottis are flat and so are sierras, and pisonis. I use steven's #2 student staples in silver with real cork, in some ways those are better than the pro staples. their are too many staple brands to discus and so many that i have not used. weber and charles are worth a try. for my Loree I happen to like steven's pro #3 but those are expensive and not intended for students.

I get my synthetic cork tubes from Gregg Chartier- (800) 729-7333.  The cheapest ones are just over a dollar if you buy them by the hundred, and he has a variety of sizes and styles to choose from.

Best,

Jennet
www.jennetingle.com

Hi Aaron --

I have an idea. I'll send an e-mail or two on your behalf.