Topic: Reed Work Furniture

After years of doing reed work at the kitchen table or my computer desk, I finally have the space for a dedicated reed work desk/table/whatever. Does anyone have a piece of reed furniture that they've found particularly well-suited to the task? I've considered a plain wooden table, a roll-top desk (protecting reeds and tools from cats would be a plus), and a couple of IKEA work tables, but I'm curious if anyone has other suggestions.

David A. Wells
Lecturer – Bassoon and Music History
California State University, Sacramento
davidawells.com

Re: Reed Work Furniture

My father gave me a Sears work table a while back specifically for my reed making. There are features that I don't use (such as the tilt table), but it does have other useful features, including the ruler stenciled right onto the surface.

Rolltop Desk.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

I went to one of the local unfinished furniture places and found a plain desk..sturdy construction..correct height for work space...then I had the guy build me a hinged box about 8 inches in height and just slightly smaller than the surface area of the desk.  This allows me to close off all my tools and keep them from inquisitive little minds and hands, and yet provides ample workspace.  I've never finished the desk with stain or even polyurethane, but I guess you could if your workspace was a public area in the home.

I've actually started plans for making my own work station. I was thinking about a sturdy table top with two legs on the front and braced to a wall in the back. The legs would be able to separate somehow so that if I moved I could easily break down my work station. Then I thought about also having a peg board against the wall so I could hang thread and wire spools and other smaller tools. Also, off to the side supported by the desk, some kind of plastic tool case that could hold supplies such as cane in different stages of development, duco cement, and any other small items I might have on hand. Can anyone see potential problems with this?

I'm late to this topic, but I'll chime in anyway.  I use a jeweler's workbench and a stool with the legs cut to a comfortable height.  It's very comfortable to work with -- has a sleight concave front edge so you can lean over it, a large drawer below that can be pulled out to catch shavings and other gunk, has a pull out wood bar beneath each side of the work surface to lean your elbows on while working.  Doesn't take up much space.  I don't think there's anything else that's as close to being exactly right for the intended purpose. 

Checking eBay, there's one for $229 plus about $90 shipping and one for $339 with shipping included.  Here's a picture of the $339 one (in Scottsdale, AZ). 

Charlie Koster
San Gabriel, CA

Post's attachments

work bench.jpg 28.44 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I made workbenches using 2  2" X  12" glued together with cross members screwed in. 6 feet long. The legs are the wall and 4" x  4".  This table doesn't move when doing anything like profiling and gouging.  I store my contrabassoon underneath on a sliding shelve.   Lawrence Rhodes...