Topic: Looking for a Bassoon Stand

Hi All:

My bassoon stand is getting old and I am looking for a new one.  I always thought I wanted one of these by Reeds N Stuff.  See the 2nd one on Justin Miller's site.

http://www.millermarketingco.com/produc … stands.htm

But now I think I want one that should be more stable yet still somewhat portable.  I have the K & M at school and I like it so I was going to order another but noticed they have a new model. 

http://products.k-m.de/us/product?xd41d … dmu8gnfel1

It looks great but I think the base is larger (almost 32" diameter!) than the older model also seen on Justin's site.  (1st one)

http://www.millermarketingco.com/produc … stands.htm

Does anyone know if that is right.  That the new one has a much larger base.  The old model doesn't come close to 32".  If the new one is that large it won't fit very well in my workspace. 

Also some come with a larger cup as seen here and I think that might be useful.  The top receiver part looks wider too but I am not sure.  I wonder if you can put the bassoon sideways and facing forward.  You can't have it facing forward in the older model.

http://www.brookmays.com/i--1501000001- … Stand.aspx

The problem is if you order one you don't know which model you will get.  I think I will have to call and get them to look at it.

I considered the Hercules which looks great but I also wonder since it leans back it might take up more space.  Sure wish I could try these smile

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/woodwind … soon-stand

Thanks for any advice, Kent

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Re: Looking for a Bassoon Stand

I just wrote to K & M to see how they measure the base diameter and to see if the new model is indeed larger than the old model.  I hope they can help me.

Dr. Kent Moore

What great service.  I have already heard back from K & M and I don't think they would mind if I post their answer here.  It sounds like a great stand and I think I will give it a shot.

"Thank you for your inquiry on the K & M bassoon stand.  Throughout 2011 and 2012 K & M has undertook a series of modifications/improvements to the background B & O stands.  Most of the changes have been switching from nickel or chrome plating to black powder coat.  This is a twofold reason, one is to be more environmentally friendly due to the Green initiative the factory subscribes to, and the second is that the trend has changed to having black stands being more preferred in the marketplace.  At the same time they have made upgrades and improvements to many of the stands.

With the 15010 bassoon stand they switched from flat steel legs and bracing to round tubes with flat steel braces.  They also gave the stand more of a traditional tripod folding leg making it easier to open and close from transport and storage.  To answer your question concerning how the measurement shown on the wensite is measured, it is the diameter of a circle drawn at the maximum extension of the legs from point to point.  Imagine the center point of the circle being directly below the vertical tube assembly of the stand.  Please recognize that if this footprint is too large for your workspace you do have the option of raising the tightening thumbscrew assembly and reducing the maximum footprint of the stand.  There is a point where if you raise it too high the footprint will become very small and the stand will not be as stable as necessary to safely support your instrument.

With the previous model the footprint diameter was not listed in the catalog.  The overall height was increased from 41.3” to 47.25” so the footprint was increased slightly to give more overall stability.  Also, the fact that the stand is a tripod design you have the ability to rotate the stand to make the legs fit into your work area.  Obviously you need to be able to be in the proper location to play the instrument and keep it essentially in line between the upper support and the lower foot on the front leg.

I hope this information is helpful in your decision to purchase the new stand.  K & M truly does build the finest stands in the industry and are always looking for ways to improve on their already superior designs.  Often improvements are the results of working with professional in within the industry and using feedback gained from this interaction."

Dr. Kent Moore

Hello Kent,

I have an orchestra bassoon stand made for me the I sell that is very stable and very heavy and not portable.  If you want to travel and need a portable stand I would suggest the Fox stand.  It is very stable, breaks down so you can put it in your case cover if necessary and very light.  Also the price is right on these stands!  I use them when I gig outside of my Detroit Symphony concerts (where we use the orchestra stands and the stage hands move them around!!).

Bob Williams

Hello Kent,

I have an orchestra bassoon stand made for me the I sell that is very stable and very heavy and not portable.  If you want to travel and need a portable stand I would suggest the Fox stand.  It is very stable, breaks down so you can put it in your case cover if necessary and very light.  Also the price is right on these stands!  I use them when I gig outside of my Detroit Symphony concerts (where we use the orchestra stands and the stage hands move them around!!).

Bob Williams

Thanks for the recommendations Bob.  I see your stand on your site and it does look very solid.  I guess 2 stands would be ideal, one permanent and one for travel.

Dr. Kent Moore

Bob Williams' stand is great if you need something that will not move, and it's footprint is quite small!

Happy Bassooning!