Topic: Reamer taper

I have a student playing on a Fox R2 *CVX2*.  Bocal plays really well on her 220, she's having difficulties finding a reamer that fits the bocal well.  We've tried my old Popkin, a new Popkin, a Fox, and a spiral Pisoni...none seem to fit the bocal properly.  Any recommendations for additional reamers to try?  Not wild about buying a $100 reamer and discovering it doen't fit. Anybody try Barry Stees' spiral ground reamer?

Thanks

Frank Watson

Re: Reamer taper

Hi Frank:

I have the Stee's reamer and I really like it but I can't say if it will work for your student's bocal.  Good luck finding one.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

I always have great fitting reeds with my Rieger reamer (on Fox bocals too). I know it's nearly cliche at this point, but it's true. They're so common that I can't imagine that there isn't a friend or colleague in your area that could lend you one.

You can overream with one pretty easily. I have a reamer stop on mine (a brass add-on made by Rieger) and always finish with the diamond reamer, but you don't need to go that far.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

An Update--Picked up one of Barry Stees' Spiral Reamers and it seems to fit my student's R2 *CVX2* very nicely. A few $ cheaper than a Rieger, excellent quality, very sharp, cuts dry cane nicely.  Highly recommended

Great Frank.  Glad you like it.  Thanks for letting us know.

Dr. Kent Moore
Principal Lecturer In Bassoon and Theory
Northern Arizona University

Miller Marketing sells a reamer just like the Rieger for a lot less $.   He also has a great throat reamer.
If you use a shaper with a narrow throat, like the Herzberg shaper, or #14 Rieger shaper, you will benefit with the throat reamer.

Abe Weiss