Topic: Tapering 4th line F

My teacher pointed out that whenever I play a fourth line f and release it, my pitch falls flat. He said I could add the Low D keep to help taper it. I am having an extremely hard time with release and tapering notes in general. I've read through some of the responses and have found some examples useful. I also try to support the f in my diaphragm but am still have problems with the pitch going flat. Could anyone offer or recommend a solution for this problem?
Thanks,
Sarah

Re: Tapering 4th line F

In general I would not suggest regular habits of adding keys to help taper notes. In some very specific circumstances, maybe, but not as a general rule of use.

I'd highly suggest picking up a copy of Arthur Weisberg's "The Art of Wind Playing". A great deal of the book deals with exactly the kinds of things related to the kinds of problems you're having. It's a bit dense though, and I don't know your age or level at this time, so it might be an inappropriate suggestion. Still a good thing to have in your collection.

The gist of it though is that as you reduce air flow you need to compensate with embouchure in order to maintain pitch. It's a tricky balance, but what's odd is that usually we tend to pinch the reed in order to go quieter and as a result the pitch would go UP, especially on the open F. Keeping the balance all the way until the end of the air stream is pivotal. Weisberg describes it much better in his book.

M.M.A., D.M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign: B.Mus. Lawrence University
Bassoon professor at University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire
Maker of the Little-Jake electric bassoon pickup and Weasel bassoon reeds

Re: Tapering 4th line F

Thanks so much for your post. It was very helpful! I've been working on tapering and it is becoming more and more effective. I am also closely focusing on my embrochure and breath support which helps and. Also my reed was part of the problem because it was too closed as well. I searched for Weisberg's "The Art of Wind Playing" and plan on making a purchase. The topics in the book are exactly what I am looking for too and age and level appropriate.

Thanks!
Sarah