Topic: Bassoon Pre-gouger?

Where can I find the least expensive pre-gouger for bassoon cane on the market?

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

Re: Bassoon Pre-gouger?

I got one at RDG for about $100 a few years ago, it's the push-through kind, but I absolutely detest it and rue its existence every single time I use it.

Thanks, I will probably go with that one. The machine kind is MUCH better, but money is more important than comfort for now.

Principal bassoonist, Orquesta Sinfonica de Galicia, A Coruña, Spain. Bassoonist, bassoon dad, bassoon husband, bassoon uncle, bassoon brother and bassoon son.

It works very well if you make a push- through easel of plastic 7/8" in diameter and about 9" in length.
Buy a piece of plastic from a hobby store, or use a broom handle and saw it off. or, go to a lumber yard and get that size dowel.
i have used mine since 1978, i think, for literally thousands and thousands of pieces of cane.
it still works great.

It does have a pusher, but it's not long enough, and now I feel really stupid for never thinking of using a dowel!! Thank you!

Thanks for the tip!

the RDG pre gouger is really indestructible, and i never had had to have the blade sharpened.

Thanks! I'll put it on my summer purchase list!
Steve

I also bought one of the push-through pre-gougers through RDG years ago. I think it was about $80, but I see it's much more now. I have used it forever. Actually I'd say this is a planer, which you still need. When Ed Laker was still working for RDG (I"m guessing about this) I contacted him to make a second one of these gouging blocks with a real pre-gouging blade, that will take the thickness of the cane down to about maybe 60/1000". Once you push it through this second pre-gouger you only have about 6 passes of your gouger to get down to your final dimension. I'm surprised that no one is making these. I may try and get a friend of mine who is manufacturing some bassoon products to see about this. Basically these two blocks do what the lovely mechanical (and expensive) pre-gougers do but at a lower price and more physical exertion.

I keep wanting a more sophisticated pre-gouger... but I've used these forever and they do the trick!

I have also fabricated a wooden pusher that I used as soon as I got my gouging blocks. Not only are the plastic ones too short, they tend to skip over the cane and you can hurt yourself. I used wood from a hardware store. What I'd suggest is take your new pre-gouging block (once you get it) to a hardware store or lumber yard and match the diameter of it (usually and probably about 24 mm) to the correct size of wood or at least close. Then find a rubber bumper used to protect the floors from furniture legs to fit over the end you use to push it. The wood pusher is also easier on the blades of the pre-gouger.
I hope this helps,
All best,
Eric Arbiter

I have a very gently used push through pre-gouger made by Udo Heng at Reeds N Stuff.  I used it maybe three or four times before I came across a good deal on a better machine.  I would sell it for $75 if anyone is interested.

Scott Pool

"The Ornaments look pretty, but they're pulling down the branches of the tree." - Cake

Thanks everybody, I ended up with a new Reeds & Tools gouger. No pre gouger needed,
Best- Steve